What's new

Noir Alley on TCM (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought there was a thread on this, but I just did a search and I couldn't find any.
It is great that Noir Alley is back after a month hiatus. I hope TCM keeps this show as an ongoing feature. I am really enjoying Eddie "The Czar of Noir" Muller's opening and closing commentaries on these films.

Next up is 711 Ocean Drive, which is one I don't recall ever seeing, so that should be fun to watch. I think Edmond O'Brien was underrated as an actor. I enjoy both his film and radio work.

illustrierte_classics_02.jpg

The week after is one of my faves, Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame!

4543511_l2.jpg

Great stuff!

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I always liked "711 Ocean Drive" (1950). It gives me that cozy late-show vibe. Like another old favorite, "Cry Danger" (1951), with Dick Powell. Neither films are as necessarily prominent nor as stylish as the usually cited noir 'classics,' but they've worn better with me through the years than many of the more well-known and well-circulated ones.

Speaking of Edmond O'Brien, the Warner Archive just released (m.o.d) his western "Cow Country" (1953-Allied Artist), which I've never seen, and I'm awfully tempted to get. O'Brien at first blush seems a bit incongruous in westerns, but I can't deny I'm quite fond of his two Pine-Thomas westerns, "Denver and Rio Grande" (1952) and "Silver City" (1951), which he did for Paramount. I wouldn't know how to necessarily categorize him, but O'Brien is almost always compellingly watchable in whatever he does.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I knew it was back yesterday, but I forgot to set the DVR to record it. My cable channel doesn't list the Sunday 10 a.m. slot as Noir Alley so I can't pick series record. I have to set the DVR every week for the films, and I just forgot to do it for yesterday's presentation. Grrrrrr! :angry:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I knew it was back yesterday, but I forgot to set the DVR to record it. My cable channel doesn't list the Sunday 10 a.m. slot as Noir Alley so I can't pick series record. I have to set the DVR every week for the films, and I just forgot to do it for yesterday's presentation. Grrrrrr! :angry:
If you've got On Demand, the movie might be up there.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This was a bad weekend for me...I really wanted to check THIS out! Thank goodness it's an annual event!

Noir City: Chicago 2017 | Music Box Theatre
Wow, that sounds like a great event. I noticed it was sponsored by TCM's Noir Alley

I also see this is a traveling show:

UPCOMING NOIR CITY DATES

NC-Detroit2017.jpg

NOIR CITY Detroit: September 22-24

NOIR CITY D.C.: October 14-26
NOIR CITY Xmas: Wed., December 20
NOIR CITY SF: January 26-February. 4, 2018

I was remiss in stating the day and time of Noir Alley, sorry about that. Yes, it is Sundays at 10AM Eastern (9 Central for me), and I TiVo it and watch it later.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
O'Brien at first blush seems a bit incongruous in westerns, but I can't deny I'm quite fond of his two Pine-Thomas westerns, "Denver and Rio Grande" (1952) and "Silver City" (1951), which he did for Paramount. I wouldn't know how to necessarily categorize him, but O'Brien is almost always compellingly watchable in whatever he does.
I thought he was excellent in a certain western playing Dutton Peabody, and didn't find him a bit out of place.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

If you've got On Demand, the movie might be up there.

And if that fails, you can catch it on the TCM website until September 10.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought there was a thread on this, but I just did a search and I couldn't find any.
It is great that Noir Alley is back after a month hiatus. I hope TCM keeps this show as an ongoing feature. I am really enjoying Eddie "The Czar of Noir" Muller's opening and closing commentaries on these films.

Next up is 711 Ocean Drive, which is one I don't recall ever seeing, so that should be fun to watch. I think Edmond O'Brien was underrated as an actor. I enjoy both his film and radio work.

illustrierte_classics_02.jpg

The week after is one of my faves, Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame!

4543511_l2.jpg

Great stuff!
I promoted it in my thread. I watched Framed last night. So happy it's back.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Same here.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Love Edmond O'Brien in anything. My favorite is his singing (?) in Frank Tashlin's THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I went to Noir City Festival In San Francisco back In 2015.
Enjoyed it SO much!
Lots of great films.

Gonna have to go back in my playstation Vue and see if I can watch the movie I missed earlier. Gonna watch future Sunday films.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I always liked "711 Ocean Drive" (1950). It gives me that cozy late-show vibe. Like another old favorite, "Cry Danger" (1951), with Dick Powell. Neither films are as necessarily prominent nor as stylish as the usually cited noir 'classics,' but they've worn better with me through the years than many of the more well-known and well-circulated ones.

Speaking of Edmond O'Brien, the Warner Archive just released (m.o.d) his western "Cow Country" (1953-Allied Artist), which I've never seen, and I'm awfully tempted to get. O'Brien at first blush seems a bit incongruous in westerns, but I can't deny I'm quite fond of his two Pine-Thomas westerns, "Denver and Rio Grande" (1952) and "Silver City" (1951), which he did for Paramount. I wouldn't know how to necessarily categorize him, but O'Brien is almost always compellingly watchable in whatever he does.

Agree about 711 OCEAN DRIVE, CRY DANGER, DENVER AND RIO GRANDE and SILVER CITY. Like you, I haven't seen COW COUNTRY. It never got shown on TV when I was growing up. I should point out, though, that DENVER and SILVER CITY were not Pine-Thomas productions but were produced by Nat Holt, who made a lot of westerns for Paramount in the 1950s and later produced the excellent "Tales of Wells Fargo" series.

I mention the three O'Brien titles in my piece on his centennial two years ago:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/edmond-obrien-centennial/#more-3179

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/edmond-obrien-centennial/#more-3179[/QUOTE]
Agree about 711 OCEAN DRIVE, CRY DANGER, DENVER AND RIO GRANDE and SILVER CITY. Like you, I haven't seen COW COUNTRY. It never got shown on TV when I was growing up. I should point out, though, that DENVER and SILVER CITY were not Pine-Thomas productions but were produced by Nat Holt, who made a lot of westerns for Paramount in the 1950s and later produced the excellent "Tales of Wells Fargo" series.

I mention the three O'Brien titles in my piece on his centennial two years ago:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/edmond-obrien-centennial/#more-3179

You're right. It dawned on me right after I posted that they were not from the latter upscale early-50s Pine-Thomas, but rather Nat Holt items. The Paramount-released product of both always remind me of each other, as they always had a similar feel, same color, same era. P-T items like "Passage West" (1951) or "The Blazing Forest" (1951), while Holt responsible for "The Great Missouri Raid" (1950), "Flaming Feather" (1951), and the O'Brien ones. Always easy to mix those up.

I love the "Tales of Wells Fargo" series. Had a conversation once with Dale Robertson about the show, where he discussed his friend Holt, and also got rather animated when telling me he felt he got a bit screwed in making the deal for syndication profits to the series. I felt like I opened a can of worms bringing the series up!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I enjoyed "Possessed" last week. Props to Joan Crawford for a brave performance, much without her usual slog of heavy makeup, and desperately wanting but being rejected by a man (even if the guy Van Heflin was such an obvious a-hole). The ending wasn't very NOIR, though, when the psychologist at the institution tells her husband she'll eventually be okay and cured of her schizophrenia despite murdering someone. Upbeat and unlikely.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They Won't Forget Me was wonderful this morning, too. Such a change of pace role for Robert Young who is truly despicable and the female co-stars are all aces.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks