What's new

No more Mary Tyler Moore Show sets? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, Columbia first announced both of these at $39.95, and later lowered the SRP weeks prior to the release date.
Which doesn't make a great deal of logical sense (re. AITF that is).....
Season 1 (13 episodes) = $39.95.
Season 2 (24 episodes) = $29.95 (revised after initial $39.95 MSRP).
Nearly twice the shows in S.2 for $10 less? :confused:
Looks like Columbia really wants these to move.
(I'm not gonna gripe though. A great deal for certain. And this deal's even better! :))

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
all I can say: FOX- dont let this stop you from releasing a first season LOST IN SPACE set....(or VOYAGE TTBOTS)
though both were B&W their first seasons, both had interesting 'sci-fi' stories, and had not yet fallen into pure fantasy or monster-of-the-week syndrome that color and lower budgets brought upon them.
Of course, being sci-fi, I think you would see a much higher percentage of sales from them anyway, rather than from an admittedly cherished half hour comedy series....just the nature of video buyers, I guess...sci-fi sells...

MGM: which brings me to season two of original THE OUTER LIMITS...
any word...?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
MASH lists for $39.98, MTM for $49.98...a $10 difference!
I think a major reason MTM didn't do well is price. Not only list price, but I couldn't find it on sale ANYWHERE! I held off buying it till someone finally got it for me for Christmas, simply because it was so expensive.

Ron Kaye

Agent
If All In The Family can be 29 bucks so can MTM.

You want a way to save the MTM season dvd sets? Money talks.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Like Duncan_N I am in the UK and AFAIK "the MTM show" has never been on British TV in my lifetime (although I do seem to remember that cat logo at the end of the episodes from when I was a kid so who knows!?!) and I'm now 27.

Anyway my point is I got this online (after all the word of mouth here and the dvdfile review) to see what it was all about. It is fabulous and a real quality product in all ways (from the programme to the dvd production itself). When I ordered it I simply assummed that all 7 seasons would get released as it seems to be such an American institution!

We are very unlikely to ever get a domestic release in the UK so it would be a shame if I and other international viewers didn't get to see the rest of the seasons.

TV on dvd seems to be very popular in the UK - we are WAY ahead of the US with some shows; Friends, Buffy & Angel as examples (but I realise this is due to US syndication) but we will only see what is popular NOW it seems. We also tend to get screwed on some releases (you only have to compare the UK and US releases of "Band of Brothers" and early "Sopranos" seasons to see this).

Fox is the only company in the UK that seems to bother with really decent packaging and presentations for their TV shows. They are not a perfect company (just way ahead of most!) but the Buffy & Angel sets are fabulous and the fact that they quickly re-pressed & re-issued "24" after UK fans complained when given the US (cut) version is really great.

I just hope that Fox US realises that there are people in other countries who want their releases even if their own market doesn't!

Lorne.t

Auditioning
I'm 38 and used to love watching the MTM show on ITV in the UK when I was younger.
The theme tune has remained one of my favourites to this day.
I picked up the season 1 boxed set at the end of last year,so I would be sorry if season 2 didn't show up at some point.
i may be odd but Valerie Harper as Rhoda always reminds me,looks wise, of Faith from Buffy 20 years on! :confused:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 1 DVD is (IMO) the quintessential example of a *PERFECT* DVD set of a TV program. It could NOT be more perfect if they tried! I'm amazed at the vibrant colors on the MTM DVDs! Even more incredible when you consider the program's age (now 33 years old)!
It would be a major disappointment to Mary fans if Season 2 were not to follow its predecessor. Especially considering the fact that Season 1 is absolutely flawless in picture quality. It makes me want Season 2 all the more.
And on a large RPTV .... oh my! The vivid colors are most impressive.
Too bad more people haven't realized the perfection of the MTM boxed set.
What a terrible, terrible waste (of great shows & no-doubt fabulously-clear transfers) if Seasons 2-->7 never follow the flawless Season 1. :frowning:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The only reason MTM didn't sell was it was streeting for $45 when its contemporaries were streeting for $30. If it were cheaper, I'm sure it would sell as well as stuff like All in the Family.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"The Fugitive" & "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" are two programs I'd buy. But I'm just not interested in the Mary Tyler Moore Show at all. I never watched it on TV.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thread Bump (for an obligatory Ranting & Raving session over the bitter disappointment of NOT having Mary Tyler Moore Season #2 and Season #3 in my house right this moment). :frowning: :frowning: *sniff* *blow*
I was just watching some of the Season 1 MTM DVD Set, so I figured it was as good a time as any to bitch 'n moan some more about future MTM seasons wasting away in DVD editing rooms. *additional sniff* :frowning:
There is one particular Season One episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show (on DVD disc #2 of 4) that has now become one of my all-time faves. It's called
"1040 Or Fight", and features Mary having her taxes audited by a Mr. Robert C. Brand (played to perfection by Paul Sand).
I defy anybody not to like (LOVE!) this episode. It's not humanly possible (if you're of the male species among us that is :)) to NOT want to be in Robert C. Brand's Mary-ogling shoes while watching this extremely charming and well-written MTM episode.
I watched this episode 3 times in a row (once with the commentary track on), and wanted immediately to watch it a fourth.
An interesting tidbit during the commentary track reveals that Bob Newhart was originally the casting choice for Mr. Brand in "1040", but he was unavailable. (This was 2 years before Newhart's own MTM Production commenced in 1972.)
I kind of wish Robert Brand had been a recurring beau of Mary's on the show. A more likeable soul you're not likely to find in 1970's television. The couple had real screen chemistry in this 25-minute example which showed how good this program could be.
So MANY fabulous & funny MTM episodes have yet to be discovered by DVD viewers.
I cannot think of a bigger shame than FOX not following through and releasing more seasons of Mary's well-deserved Emmy-winning series.
If there's a 20th-Century Fox DVD representative within earshot of HTF, I think ALL Mary fans would be well served to shout from the rooftops, at ear-piercing levels of volume, the following:
Dear Fox ... We MTM Show fans periodically check the release schedule in the hope of finding further seasons of this treasured program becoming available. To stop cold-turkey after just the initial season of one of the top Emmy-winning series in television history equates to having the bag of your favorite potato chips snatched from your grasp after consuming a mere one chip! It borders on DVD Hell for the avid MTM Show enthusiast.
The decision to issue future seasons of this fan favorite, of course, is yours. But the stellar FOX DVD Division would make a large number of disc-purchasers immensely happier if additional MTMs were to be released onto Digital Disc.
What makes waiting for Seasons 2 thru 7 of The MTM Show even more frustrating is the fact that the quality of the Season 1 release was so darn good! Perfect in every facet as far as my eyes can detect! That set is exceptional in every area, from transfer quality, to extra features, to the multiple sub-menus, to the TEN Chapter Stops provided with each of the 24 episodes, to the classy, first-rate, heavy-duty packaging of the 4-disc set. What more can one say? It's the TV DVD Boxed Set that others (in my opinion) should be measured against for quality.
With this type of quality for Season One, what else can a reasonable DVD watcher have in his head, other than to thirst for future MTM products of this same ilk. (After all, we're only human. Such grandiose Digital bliss can only make the craving for Season 2 even stronger, right? :))
The Season One Christmas episode of The MTM Show is still one of the best in the whole series, even if your DVD Department was forced to cut out the "White Christmas" musical number. Unfortunately, I've heard scuttlebutt that many fans were thinking of boycotting future MTM releases (and even the first-season DVD set) due to this one-minute trimming of this episode. I, for one, am not one of those individuals. To deprive one's self of all these great shows due to this one edit is, in my view, downright silly.
The exceptional efforts of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in the MTM-1 Set shine through with bright, bold colors (literally), and are greatly appreciated by this writer, who sincerely hopes that the good people at FOX DVD will re-consider the plight that The Mary Tyler Moore Show is currently
in -- which is: An absolute Classic TV program in search of many more shiny 4-and-a-half-inch silvery platters that so richly display the content of this sitcom.
For, not being able to see "Chuckles Bites The Dust" (during Season #6) on crystal-clear FOX DVD is practically like saying that Mary's show isn't worthy enough of such a lofty Digital position in our libraries. And if there was ever a show worthy enough of this honor, it's Mary's. :)
Sincerely Yours,
MTM FANS EVERYWHERE! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
On 12/30, Ventura Distribution is releasing a DVD of Mary and Rhoda, the reunion special that recently aired on ABC. It will be cheap, list-pricing only at $14.99.
Regardless of whether or not you loved that special, strong sales of that disc *could* demonstrate to Fox that there is still a strong market for the MTMS on DVD.
If Fox happens to re-promote the S1 set at around the same time (actually, they should start doing this before Christmas to catch the holiday gift-givers) - maybe with a small markdown that brings the street price to $29.99 or less - then it would be a great way to gauge whether price was the big factor.
Oh, and market it a little bit this time. ;)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Oh what wouldnt I give for the rest of MTM.... I bought S1 day and date, as I would with any other seasons.

Maybe... a petition

I would buy ALL future MTM Season sets day and date. Just in case the Fox Folks are reading....we're READY for Season 2!!!!!!!!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Apparently that's the problem, the number of disc-purchasers isn't large enough.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
The first season of MTM was too expensive compared to other similar first season sets. For whatever reason, the price has never been lowered. Based on these facts, I can't see a second season ever being released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks