What's new

Nintendo Switch 2 (2024) (2 Viewers)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GameCube and Wii U didn't sell anywhere near what the Wii and Switch did, so porting games from the GameCube (which is 20 years old) and the Wii U to the Switch makes some amount of sense. Even if 2% of Switch owners buy, say, Pikmin 1+2 then Nintendo is looking at millions of sales. Having that massive install base is key to making easy money right now. One of the big reasons PS5 and Xbox Series S/X games released on both current and previous gen was because there's many tens of millions of potential customers on previous gen and only a couple tens of million on current gen.

So when it comes to Switch 2, Nintendo probably won't push too hard early on with remasters and ports. They want to sell new hardware with new experiences. They might use this generation transition to push Metroid Prime 4 as the cross-gen IP (whereas it used to be Zelda on GameCube/Wii and Wii U/Switch). If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime 2+3 HD Remasters (not full-on MP1-style remakes) are announced/released relatively soon in order to build excitement for the franchise when MP4 comes out next fall with the Switch 2 launch.

Alongside that, they could pull a "Switch Online subscriptions carry over and we're adding GameCube games exclusive to Switch 2" or something like that. The rumors say the new console is backward compatible but since it's similar architecture I wouldn't be surprised if things like smoother framerates and faster loading are natural while any sort of resolution improvement would be a case-by-case patch. Realistically, since TotK is not getting DLC (Nintendo said this earlier this week), maybe they'll put out some next-gen upgrade patch as a freebie to intice people to see how nice the new system is. TotK sold incredibly well and made them a ton of money, plus Nintendo is both good in terms of supporting their games as well as milking them for money. Charging for a patch seems weird but I could see them doing something like adding a new tier to Switch Online that costs even more money.

As for F-Zero, a leaker who has a good track record hinted at it being announced next week so it seems likely, I guess.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While I agree that the situation with the Wii U was drastically different with scores of excellent games that most people never got to experience because the system failed to sell, I don't see Nintendo severely curtailing their 1st party output on Switch 2 by now eschewing remasters of content from their back catalog. They've seen that they're well received and sell well, and will want to continue taking advantage to fill gaps in their lineup.

So while I don't want one Switch remaster after another, I guarantee you that we'll see a handful get the Switch 2 makeover when all is said and done and that it won't be done by free next-gen patches for games that are old (Maybe just maybe we'll get a free or modestly priced upgrade for Tears of the Kingdom with how recent it was, but not old games like Breath of the Wild).

I also bet we'll see some more 3DS remasters going forward, perhaps on Switch 1 for the next few years just like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon next year is going to be. They can not only be sold to Switch 2 early adapters assuming it's backwards compatible like we all expect it to be, but also to the millions of people that will still be on the Switch 1 during the generation transition while Nintendo's focus for original content shifts to the Switch 2. Plenty of horsepower in the old Switch to bring these modern handheld classics forward into the HD age.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo is absolutely going to be doing remakes/remasters of their classics. Link's Awakening and Mario RPG are setting the stage for the SNES era being remastered and I would personally love to see some of their N64 games be remade with modern graphics and control sensibilities.

But I highly doubt we're going to see something like Breath of the Wild Remastered on Switch 2.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Nintendo is weird. It's very much like them to create an enhanced BOTW demo using Switch 2 target specs (implying that they thought it was worth showing to industry people) but then not bother to build out and release the full game.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I think next year would be too soon for it anyways. A little bit of time between big 3D Zelda adventures is a formula that I think they want to stick with, including remasters like a potential Breath of the Wild rerelease.

That said, bet on it happening one of these days even if Morgan ends up correct and it's not on the Switch 2. Nintendo will revisit and soup this one up one of these days, guaranteed.

But a Tears of the Kingdom upgrade however they want to deliver it to the consumer is one that sounds logical to me, given how new it still is and how long it will remain a major sales performer for Nintendo. I bet it releases alongside the system, hopefully with a reasonable upgrade path for existing owners.

Personally I'd rather see A Link Between Worlds get the remaster treatment most of all. I loved that one on the 3DS and would love to revisit it on a large television screen. Not sure if that's even on Nintendo's radar of course, but I sure hope it is.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo announced and showed off the GameCube with a "mature" version of Link fighting Ganon, then released Wind Waker which looks like a cartoon. They're not always the most predictable when it comes to tech demos turning into things.

The newest info suggests the BotW demo was to show off how fast loading is. The normal "menu to game" load time is about 30 seconds but the demo was instant.

I'm sure Nintendo will get around to doing HD remasters or even full-blown remakes of everything they've made that sold well enough. I just don't see BotW or TotK happening any time soon. Maybe A Link to the Past or Super Mario World first (since they seem to basically be remaking NES/GB/SNES games first).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What NES content did they remake?

Link's Awakening 3D was years ago at this point, so I'm not sure that I see a trend there like you do. But in many ways A Link Between Worlds rather fits your criteria. It started out as a remake of LttP and morphed into a direct sequel set in the same world.

While I doubt that it would happen when neither needs the other in order to tempt people to buy it, I'd love to see that project come full circle. An HD remaster of A Link Between Worlds paired with the addition of a remake of Link to the Past that reuses the same engine, world, graphical assets, etc.

Not that I think Link to the Past needs a remake, but I'm up for revisiting this favorite with a new look.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo must love idiots like us by the way. Here we are in a thread about Switch 2 and instead of talking about brand new games, we're debating remasters.

lol

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Maybe not remakes, but Nintendo did the Fire Emblem NES ports that were sold for a limited time. Then there's the Mario 3D All-Stars package. I can see them doing similar things going forward with some of their rare classics that aren't put in their subscriptions.

A remake of LttP with ALBW included, similar to a straight port of WW and TP HD as a double-pack, sounds like a no-brainer. And a Metroid Prime HD Remaster Trilogy.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Interesting announcements today.

I see that they've renamed the remaster of Dark Moon to Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. Probably a good move so that the unintiated don't pick it up expecting visuals as good or better than Luigi's Mansion 3.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Bowser's Fury addition for Mario 3D World on Switch seemed to be a precursor to where Nintendo wanted to take Mario. I didn't play it (already beat 3D World on Wii U) but the reviews were pretty good so I'm excited for the possibility.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Doesn't strike me as a reliable source, but I wouldn't be surprised if the source ends up lucky in the end.

Super Mario Odyssey is several years old, Bowser's Fury was an interesting experiment, and we're about due for a new 3D Mario.

I'd make the exact same guess...

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Some rumored info

2 possible release dates:

September 24, 2024 (internal target date)
November 3, 2024 (back up date)

2 separate models
So far no OLED screen
Will have AR features

Price
$400 all digital model
$450 regular model

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The rumor is the Switch 2 will have better ray tracing than the PS5 and Series X. I find that very funny considering the talk that it will have about the power of a PS4, which fits in much better with the release pattern of Nintendo's hardware.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I really wouldn't put much thought into these alleged rumors that ComicBook is pumping out. It's telling when so many more mainstream outlets out there like NintendoLife and Eurogamer that want Switch 2 content to generate traffic, aren't picking up all this "inside information".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think raytracing is overrated. It's the current hot graphics trend that people use to measure power of a platform. It used to be bits/bytes, then colors, then polygons, now its RT. I find that games looked great before it and look every so slightly better after it but I would happily trade it for better design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks