What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Though they’re best known today for their Gothic horror films, Hammer Film Productions dabbled in a number of different genres. Some of the genres that Hammer produced films in included war films, science fiction, crime films, psychological thrillers (especially after the success of Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho in 1960) and even comedies; however, one of the studio’s best genres outside of horror was the adventure film, of which the Gothic swashbuckler Night Creatures (AKA Captain Clegg) was among their best. Universal previously released the movie as part of an 8-film Hammer Horror Film Collection on both DVD and Blu-ray, but Shout Factory – through their Scream Factory sub label – has given the movie a Collector’s Edition release.

Night Creatures (1962)

Released: 13 Jun 1962
Rated: Unrated
Runtime: 82 min

Director: Peter Graham Scott
Genre: Adventure, Horror...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The packaging and publicity for the release says 2.00:1 as the aspect ratio, but it is actually the correct 1.85:1.

By way of comparison, I thought this presentation surpassed the Indicator (region B) release from last year in picture quality (Indicator used Universal's older HD master and not this new 2K one).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Getting mine on Tuesday 4-19 :D This will be my 4th and Last Dip. I have the Final Cut, Universal, & Indicator Blurays ! :)
AA NIGHT CREATURES.jpg

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I really like this film.

My copy of the Shout Factory Collectors Edition of "Night Creatures" arrived (Monday April 18), and I watched a few minutes to check the disc. While most of the film (that I watched) looked rather good, and the 1.85 framing really improved the composition over the old 2.00 aspect ratio of earlier releases,
I did find a problem.

Near the end of the movie (before the final exterior scene), and for several minutes, the image has a lot of what seems to be horizontal hum bars (sort of a horizontal banding) over the final interior church confrontation. It continues into the sequence with Peter Cushing & Michael Ripper confronting Milton Reid's mute character.

I checked this on 3 Blu-ray players and 2 different televisions. Rather disappointing. Poor enough that Shout Factory should correct.

I also checked the old Universal Blu-ray and did not find such an issue. I do not know why reviewers have not seen or commented on this.

It really bugs me, as other than this issue, for the pieces that I looked at on this new disc seem to be a bit of an improvement over the old Universal Blu-ray.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I really like this film.

My copy of the Shout Factory Collectors Edition of "Night Creatures" arrived (Monday April 18), and I watched a few minutes to check the disc. While most of the film (that I watched) looked rather good, and the 1.85 framing really improved the composition over the old 2.00 aspect ratio of earlier releases,
I did find a problem.

Near the end of the movie (before the final exterior scene), and for several minutes, the image has a lot of what seems to be horizontal hum bars (sort of a horizontal banding) over the final interior church confrontation. It continues into the sequence with Peter Cushing & Michael Ripper confronting Milton Reid's mute character.

I checked this on 3 Blu-ray players and 2 different televisions. Rather disappointing. Poor enough that Shout Factory should correct.

I also checked the old Universal Blu-ray and did not find such an issue. I do not know why reviewers have not seen or commented on this.

It really bugs me, as other than this issue, for the pieces that I looked at on this new disc seem to be a bit of an improvement over the old Universal Blu-ray.
The Indicator Blu Ray which is superior to the Universal did not have this problem either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks