What's new

NHT M^ Evolutions (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
After living with my M6 along side my 2.9s for a couple of weeks, I can tell you this speaker is up to the job. I have since heard the M5 and def. like the way the M6 voices much better. I know they are supposed to sound the same but they DONT. There is as much dif. as the 2.5 and the 3.3 minus the bass.
Hopefully these speakers getting to some credible listeners hands like these will lead to greater interest.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hot...eID=157&page=2
:)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

Just the M6. I am using a very low Q sealed tempest in a 220 +litre enclosure. It is more than competent and musical at the very low end.

I really like this speaker better than my old AC2 and maybe better than the top half of my 2.9s.

Cheers!

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
The new NHT's have gotten several excellent reviews in the magazines. I was worried about where NHT was going after they discountinued their whole lineup over the last couple of years. The flexibility of their new lineup has put those worries to bed.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
to be honest, I find that once the listener adjusts his ear height to match, the 2.9 sounds about the same as the 3.3 (except for the bass extension and output). If course you might say that I am deaf or that I don't know anything, but there it is.

I understand that for the 3.3, drivers have to be matched within 0.1db of a reference, and NHT had ended up with a large stock of parts that were well within NHT's normal tolerances, but outside of the tolerances specified for the 3.3. These "rejected" parts had already been figured into the cost of the 3.3, upto a point, meaning that NHT could offer a speaker made with them for a substantial cost savings over the 3.3.

Technically, if you use the drivers that passed the 0.1db tolerance for a 2.9, and you get your ear level correct for the cabinet size, it should sound IDENTICAL above 100Hz to the 3.3, except for the floor reflections that would occur fractionally sooner. However, the fact is that NHT's regular tolerances are tight enough that even the "rejected" drivers are mostly within the perception window of the human ear, and with careful set up, a 2.9 can be made to sound very much like a 3.3.

At least that has been my expereince. YMMV.

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if you were replying to my post on dif. sounds.I agree that 2.9s can be set up to sound like 3.3s.
However, I was referring to the dif. of 2.5s and 2.9s/3.3s.

Anyone else bought these awesome monitors yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimmyboombotts
Recent bookmarks