What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sean,

I do agree that it seems like the Canucks did not manage the value of their asset well. If you compare what the Kings got for Bernier, who would be a UFA next year, Vancouver should have been able to get more. I do not think Gillis will be winning any executive of the year awards in Vancouver over this move. My comments were more about Horvat, who I do not consider a typical #9 overall choice.I would have loved to see him in a Habs uniform.

As for buying out Luongo, that's a lot of money to eat for a player who still has some value, but from a pure hockey sense it made the most sense. I assume the ownership did not want to eat that much cash, though. They can always use the buyout on him next season, but they will have no goalie then, since Schneider is now gone.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Scott Merryfield said:
They can always use the buyout on him next season, but they will have no goalie then, since Schneider is now gone.
At which point maybe the Leafs can swing a trade with them, ( not for Luongo ) but for one of our (Leafs) Goalie's going the other way. You know whomever of Reimer or Bernier end up no#2, they're going to want out. Of course Halak, Varlamov, Hiller , Elliot and most enticing of all Miller will be up ( assuming they don't resign ) next year, so might be worth playing one more year with Lou and then picking up one of the above.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
sean1976 said:
At which point maybe the Leafs can swing a trade with them, ( not for Luongo ) but for one of our (Leafs) Goalie's going the other way. You know whomever of Reimer or Bernier end up no#2, they're going to want out. Of course Halak, Varlamov, Hiller , Elliot and most enticing of all Miller will be up ( assuming they don't resign ) next year, so might be worth playing one more year with Lou and then picking up one of the above.
That is certainly a possibility, although I would not be surprised to see Buffalo trade Miller before he becomes a free agent. They could get quite a haul from a contender looking for some help in net at next season's trade deadline.

On the Schneider front, this interests me from the New Jersey standpoint, too. The Devils have a couple nice goalie prospects that I thought they were grooming as possible replacements for Brodeur. One of them is former Plymouth Whaler Scott Wedgewood, who I thought had a chance to be a solid starting NHL goaltender. Maybe NJ didn't like what they saw in him during Wedgewood's first year in the AHL. Or maybe they believe Brodeur is ready to retire very soon and the prospects are not NHL-ready yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I guess that ends the speculation of where they will be moving for a couple of years, at least.
Richard Travale said:
That is a strange signing by Philly. They have cap issues, and big needs on defense and goalie, yet sign Vinny to a 5 year contract with a no movement clause? Bizarre.

Overall, this is a pretty weak year for free agents. Expect to see more marginal talent getting overpaid. The Rangers are good for at least one of these signings each year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Wow, I never saw this coming. I liked both Seguin and Peverley. I understand some of the reasoning after reading the article, but that still doesn't take some of the sting away.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9450628/boston-bruins-dallas-stars-reach-agreement-7-player-trade

I'd read rumors that Seguin may be dealt, but still am surprised the Bruins did this. Eriksson is a decent winger, but giving up both Seguin and Peverley is too much. This has a lot to do with Boston trying to manage the salary cap, but I think they are going to regret this.

On the plus side, I no longer have to feel conflicted about Seguin. I can now root for the former Plymouth Whaler freely now that he is no longer a hated Bruin. As a Habs fan, I think it's a great trade.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's a lot of money for Iginla, but it's only for one year, so there is no long term harm. It is funny that he's coming to Boston after all the hate that went his way from Bruins fans after he spurned them at the trade deadline.

There was lots of player movement yesterday, and as usual some teams overpaid. Clarkson getting a 7 year contract from the Leafs and Clowe getting $5M+ for 5 years from New Jersey are the two most glaring ones. Clarkson is a decent third line two-way forward, but that is not worth the contract he got. I wasn't thrilled with the Habs signing Briere, but his 2 year contract is a bargain compared with some of the others.

A couple more Plymouth Whalers (current and former) were involved in deals yesterday. Stephen Weiss signed a 5 year deal with Detroit, and Stefan Noesen (Sen's 2011 first round draft pick) was sent to Anaheim as part of the Bobby Ryan trade to Ottawa. The Sens gave up a lot of the future for Ryan, which is something a team in "win now" mode does. Is Ottawa that close to being a true contender?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just checking in to see how Blackhawks fans feel about The Biebs. :lol:
BOxebwJCUAA_aC5.jpg-large_crop_north_crop_north.jpg

And of course his infamous stand on the logo
BOyfLzOCcAAo_tQ.jpg

Oh, so that's the picture in Webster's Dictionary when you look up Douchebag!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Carlo,

If I was a Hawks fan, that picture would have made me reconsider my allegiance. :laugh:

Mike McCarron, Montreal's 1st round pick in this year's draft, has decided to back out of his commitment to Western Michigan University and will instead play in the OHL for the London Knights. As a Habs fan, I like this move, as it should be a better place for him to develop, and I'll get to see him play when the Knights visit Plymouth. As a Whalers fan, I'm not quite as happy, since London is the 800 pound gorilla of OHL, and I don't like to see them get even more talent. They now have 5 NHL 1st round draft picks (and 15 players who were NHL drafted) on the current roster.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Carlo Medina said:
Just checking in to see how Blackhawks fans feel about The Biebs. :lol:
BOxebwJCUAA_aC5.jpg-large_crop_north_crop_north.jpg

And of course his infamous stand on the logo
BOyfLzOCcAAo_tQ.jpg

Oh, so that's the picture in Webster's Dictionary when you look up Douchebag!
" F*CK You Bill Clinton! " ... Lol

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
It will be interesting to have the Red Wings in the East.

Here is the NHL opening night slate and division names. There will also be a two-and-a-half week break (Feb. 9 - Feb. 26) for the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9492759/nhl-releases-2013-14-schedule-new-division-names
Gary Bettman needs a lesson in geography. The old Northeast Division is now the Atlantic Division with mostly non-Atlantic teams -- except for Boston and the two in Florida (but does hockey really matter in the Sunshine State anyway? ;) ). Meanwhile, the old Atlantic (with six Atlantic teams) is now the Metropolitan?

Yuck.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame announced their 2013 inductees. Amongst the better known inductees, such as Doug Weight and Bill Guerin, is the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes and my hometown Plymouth Whalers -- Peter Karmanos, Jr. You can read more here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks