What's new

Next USB plug to be reversible, incompatible with existing ones (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Great. Another batch of cables to add to the pile I have of USB -> mini USB and USB -> micro USB, plus the odd connectors for my two USB 3.0 devices and the proprietary connector for the Apple devices. If Garmin would have switched to micro USB, I could have at least dumped the mini USB cables. :angry:

As someone once said: "Standards are great. That's why we have so many of them".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Agreed about all the different cables in use by me.

But we really need something new just because people can't figure out top from bottom?
speechless-smiley-034.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Agreed about all the different cables in use by me.

But we really need something new just because people can't figure out top from bottom?
speechless-smiley-034.gif
yes :)

Grab a USB cable and plug it in. Do you hesitate and squint to find the black-on-black logo indicating top? Do you try, get it wrong, and have to flip it and try again?

Apple's symmetric connector is like a headphone jack: it just works every time. This will be an improvement for USB.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
yes :)Grab a USB cable and plug it in. Do you hesitate and squint to find the black-on-black logo indicating top? Do you try, get it wrong, and have to flip it and try again?Apple's symmetric connector is like a headphone jack: it just works every time. This will be an improvement for USB.
My only comment on apples connector is this.. It's tiny, it's flimsy and I've went through four cables already.. And the aren't cheap. If the cables were $4, I'd be onboard. But right now apples cable is a menace.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So won't it be grand when the rest of the industry does a better job than Apple for less cost with higher quality?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
So won't it be grand when the rest of the industry does a better job than Apple for less cost with higher quality?
Most certainly. ;). Reversible non flimsy cables that are available generic? I'm in.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Most certainly. ;). Reversible non flimsy cables that are available generic? I'm in.
Doing it better, cheaper, and with much more choices than Apple is always a good thing. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The title should also include, "Less than $19 and won't electrocute you"

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They need something like this for the next generation of HDMI cable and devices, i'm forever reaching to the back of something and trying to connect the HDMI cable only to find out it's the wrong way around, probably because connections on the back are hard to put in if you aren't wanting to move the device to see exactly what you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks