Next Gen Samsung HDTV's announced at CEDIA '14 -- Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Collins, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    CEDIA is where most manufacturers announce products that will ship in the summer or fall of that year. Sometimes there are really cool things that disrupt the marketplace, then there are things that are of incremental value followed by things that have minimal impact on the industry.

Samsung has sort of pre-announced what they will be showing as their next-gen smart TV. What would that entail? Well it will be a smart TV with a touch screen that with single gesture swipes for interaction along with voice recognition. The figure gesture would allow users to change channels, adjust volume or search and select a program. The voice recognition would basically be able to do the same thing.

No, if the XBox One is any indication of "great" voice recognition, I think I will stick with my remote control. Given that XBox was using the voice recognition IQ from their acquisition of TellMe years ago, one would think they would have the technological jump on competitors.

In regards to touch, IMO, that really only works for tablets. I HATE touch on W8 notebooks and I can't imagine consistent smudge marks on my 65" or larger TV set.

This whole touch thing reminds me of the "old days", before remote control, when one had to get up to change the channel and volume. Wasn't that "touch"?! People loved the remote control. I don't see how this will be any different....

I wish the manufacturers would focus on picture quality instead of features that are not increasing the purpose of the device in the first place --- to watch video content!

Opinions?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Maybe they'll bring back Space Command...no wait, that is LG... :blink:

3. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Wow, this just cant be right. A touch screen TV? My display screens are sacred ground that are not to be touched, ever. I dont even like touch screen cell phones but I use one because I have no choice. I dont even clean my screens until its absolutely necessary, I just cant imagine creating a feature that supports and promotes finger prints on a large display. Way to think outside the box Samsung.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    This is an even worse idea than the curved screen.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Right, touch screens for large displays is a bad idea.

6. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    So true, it's been that way about convenience/features over performance quality since the beginning of the video age.

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Not just in CE...

Member of various Miata, Subaru, tractor and British car forums...

It is appalling the cars we get here vs Europe. Subaru especially. Hell, even Canada gets a Subaru X-Mode* that we don't get here cause "Americans won't pay for the feature...they just want cheap cars."

*X-Mode is only available in Subaru's sold in states that border Canada...except the Forester. They will have the feature regardless.