What's new

New to HT and Forums, comments on this system appreciated (1 Viewer)

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
I'm glad I stumbled onto this site. It's awesome. I have been reading for hours and hours in the last week, using the search function (which has worked perfectly for me).
Anyway, here is the sytem I have decided to put together for my bedroom, and in the fall, dorm room at U of M. I listen to music all the time, so figure usage will be 70/30 music/HT.
Receiver - Onkyo TX-DS595 ~370 jandr.com
DVD/CD - Toshiba 2715 ~200 jandr.com
Speakers - 5 nOrh 4.0 850 nOrh.com
Subwoofer - Adire Rava 399 adireaudio.com
For a total of about $1820, not including all shipping and wires. I chose the nOrhs because all of the dorm rooms I've been in have been acoustical nightmares. Hopefully their reportedly large dispersed soundstage will alleviate this somewhat. Plus, their looks should go over well with my peers. My second choice was Axiom, but I'm 95% sure I'm going with nOrh. I chose the 595 because it has all of the features I need, and definately enough power for a bedroom/dorm setup. It also has very solid build quality. The rava is the most cost-effective and musical sub in my range. I also considered velodyne here. The Tobisha DVD has 5 disc capacity, and is supposed to play VCDs/CDR/CD-RW and MP3 CDs, but I will have my computer connected to the receiver via optical digital.
This will replace my current system, which is simply a two-year old Sony shelf system which is hooked up to my computer, TV, and PS2.
So that's it. I've already got a lot of feedback already, just by reading previous posts on the components I eventually chose. There are a lot of guys whom I already owe thanks, but I can't name them all.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum!
It looks like you have made some solid choices. You were wise to read extensively on the forum before deciding anything since there is such a wealth of knowledge here. Please post here again after receiving your equipment and give us your review/impressions.
Good luck!

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a solid system to me. Let us know how the rava mates with the 4.0's & how it sounds in those tiny dorm rooms (assuming that they are tiny, of course).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Like Mike said, appears you did your homework on the site first. If you didn't, we are even more impressed. Everything you've choosen is often given top recommends on this site. You won't be disappointed with any of it. But I'm sure your dorm neighbors will quickly learn to hate the Rava
tongue.gif

------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. Once I get it set up I'm not sure how much my opinion will be worth because I'll probably be too excited. All I will be able to say for sure is that it can beat any Sony shelf system currently on the market.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the forum, your choices seem to be solid. Once your budget allows, you may be able to move up to the ultimate in hometheater entertainment: BOSE
laugh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks