What's new

New Panasonic 47" (PT-47WX49) & Center Channel Speaker (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I'm seriously considering purchasing this set, but I haven't actually seen one for myself yet. Will the top accommodate a typical center channel speaker? I've got a JBL Northridge (8.5" deep) and I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to build some kind of support for it.
Link Removed

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The top is not very deep. A "normal" center channel will not fit on top. It's probably about 6". There is no way my Boston Acoustics VR12 will sit up there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The top is 6.75" deep but as long as your speaker has decent weight distribution it can support a fairly large center speaker. I have an Energy AC-300 which is 7.8"H x 19.3"W x 13"D and weighs 23.8 lbs, and it sits up there fine.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Rod U

Auditioning
I tried placing an 11" deep, 30" wide, 15lb center channel speaker on top of the PT-47, and though it fit on top (hanging over the front and rear of course), it bowed the front screen on the TV and corrupted the picture. Straight line objects would appear curvy. I would not suggest placing anything other than a few Beany Baby's on top of the delicate plastic housing of the PT-47. It's just not built to handle it.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I have noticed a number of manufacturers are making the top of their TV's very slim. DUH!!! Don't they know that surround sound is very popular and getting more popular each day. There needs to be room and strength for normal sized center channel speakers. We can argue the normal sized bit but a reasonable survey of popular center channels should be absolutely necessary for any large screen or 16X9 TV designer.
rw

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand this thin top-of-the-TV trend, either. With surround sound gaining in popularity all the time, the thin TV tops just seem so stupid. I'm getting my new Panny new week, and based on what Carlo's been saying, my 6" center speaker ought to sit up there just fine. Of course, I also have a cat who likes to walk on everything, so hopefully he won't cause too much destruction. (I plan to make a cat-proof cover for the TV for when it's not in use.)
JiM T

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Just mount a shelf behind the TV. I did that behind my TW40X81 and it works great and cost me about $20.
Ryan
------------------

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I know. But why do we have to spend a lot of money and then take the time and effort to fix something that really should have been considered in the design.
For this type of TV center channels are very common (IMO).
Thanks for the tip. It looks as though I will have to use it. I haven't decided on the set I'll buy but all prospects have similar slim tops.
rw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks