What's new
World Wide Stereo

new Onkyo receiver TX-SR507 hookup problem (1 Viewer)

brewii

Auditioning
Real Name
Bennie
Having a problem with my new receiver. Here’s my setup (TV: Samsung plasma PN58B540):

From my satellite receiver, have a composite video cable and RCA cables connected to the CBL/SAT IN connections.

From my DVD/VCR player, have a composite video cable and RCA cables connected to the VCR/DVR IN connections.

From my Wii, have a composite video cable and RCA cables connected to the DVD/BD IN connections.

Now I don’t have any problems viewing the signal from my satellite receiver, both audio to my TV/ surround speakers and video to the TV are fine.

However, when I switch to the DVD/VCR input, I get sound to my surround speakers, but no video (on the TV a note pops up that there is no video signal present).

When I switch to the Wii, I get video, but no sound to the surround speakers (however, I do get audio from the TV).

I did try something last night which was to input the DVD/VCR video input into the CBL/SAT input and I did get a video signal. So why don’t I get one when it is plugged into it’s own input connection?

Why don’t I get sound to the surround speakers when the Wii is selected as the input?

Why? Why? Why?

728x90

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Did you go into the 507's setup menu and "assign" the audio and video inputs? This tells the 507 where to look for the signal when you switch inputs. There should be a diagram or something showing the factory defaults but you may need to make some changes depending on how you have hooked your components up.

RCA cables won't get you Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1, only stereo.

Also, why are you using composite for video? HDMI is best, followed by component then s-video then composite then RF.

brewii

Auditioning
Real Name
Bennie
The composite inputs are not assignable, so I'm using the default setup. I just select the corresponding input on the remote or on the front of the receiver that i want it to output and get the problems above.

Yea, I know about the RCA cables. I'm still in the process of obtaining all the cables that I need to get to true 5.1 surround.

My new HD satellite receiver will be installed tomorrow and I'll be connecting it with a HDMI cable. I'll be going with component cables for my old DVD/VCR unit soon. Nothing I can do for the Wii except use composite.

Once I get the appropriate cables to make the changes above, my problems may go away. However, it will still be a couple of weeks before I get all of this done and would like to understand what I am seeing with the setup I have.

Thanks

brewii

Auditioning
Real Name
Bennie
Alright, just looking over the typical wiring hookups provided by Onkyo and believe I know what I have done. I'll try it when I get home tognight and see if it fixes my problems. I'll post my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks