What's new

new JVC projector... any comments? (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've just come across reference to a new JVC D-ILA projector, this one seemingly almost aimed at the masses.
From what I've seen, the JVC DLA-DS1 looks like they've taken some of their other D-ILA projectors and scaled down the lamp (to a hopefully inexpensive one,) and shrank most of the components, all the while keeping the three 1366x1024 D-ILA imagers.
Particulars that I've seen (via Projector Central and others,) indicates 1300 ANSI lumens, and an $8995 MSRP price.
Has...
1. anyone seen one?
2. anyone know any contrast ratio specs?
3. have any idea of a real, street price?
4. lamp cost and life?
or,
5. is this just a major hallucination and bit of wishful thinking on my part?!
(and yes, I did do a casual search at AV Science, and didn't find anything.)
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Dean McManis

Agent
Leo,
The DS1 was designed more for business presentation use than for home theater.
It is smaller, lighter, quieter, cheaper, and brighter than the G11 model it replaces, and has a less expensive UHP bulb.
But the shortcoming is the optics which output around 200:1 contrast, which is fine for computer work, but not great for HT, and apparently the calibration/tweaking that transforms the G11/G15 FPTVs is not effective for the DS1.
So far, the best bet in D-ILA FPTVs is the G15, which is available new for under $10 if you look around. I have a calibrated G15, and it looks stunning.
JVC also came out with the new G150HT, which is specifically designed for HT use, but is $18K list.
In the under $8K range the Sharp Z9000 DLP FPTV looks very good.
-Dean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks