What's new

New iPods Coming Next Week (9/5/07) (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So keep watching the Apple site, or subscribe to any of the numerous Apple blogs. The details will be all over cyberspace within minutes of announcement.

Michael DK

Auditioning

Did your CostCo get the 160 GB Classic in? Mine has the new Nanos and the 80GB classic, but hasn't received any of the 160s yet.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The 160s were rolling out a bit later than the 80s, but they appear to be more readily available now.

I've been watching the Apple Discussion threads on the classic, and there sure do seem to be a lot of problems with these, including frequent crashes, sluggish performance, and changed audio quality (some - like iLounge - think the sound has improved, some do not). The crashes appear to be problems with handling graphics (album art, photos). One guy had an Apple rep contact him and tell him they were working on a firmware update.

FedEx dropped off my black 160GB classic this morning just before I left for work. I'll report back on my experiences tonight or tomorrow.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The only thing I've heard is that on the 3G nano there's an issue where some 320x240 MP4 videos cause the nano to "freeze" (I've seen that happen once playing the DL.TV video). Apple is aware of this and we may see an updated firmware for the 3G nano probably within the next few weeks to correct this issue.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Are the menus sluggish? I ask because at my local Best Buy, they were. However, all of the iPods were fastened down with criss-crossing black plastic ties which partially touched the scroll wheel. So maybe the menus were sluggish because of the stupid "extra security" of the Best Buy store. I couldn't make it so the ties didn't touch the wheel to test it out.

Thanks!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Menus on my classic 160 are not as sluggish as I thought they would be. I'm working on a full writeup - will post later today.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Craig, can you do me a favour? Play a song, and then go into coverflow and scroll back and forth quickly and let me know what happens -- I saw several iPod Classics do something really weird in that situation today.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Aaron, did as you asked. Nothing weird happened on mine. Music kept playing, Cover Flow did its thing. If you scroll fast enough you will get ahead of the iPod's buffer, and see the blank cover graphic, but they fill in within a few seconds. But this happens on all Cover Flow devices (including my iMac) that I've experienced.

I know I promised a writeup yesterday, but life gets in the way... I will say I'm experiencing a lot less problems with my Classic than others on the Apple boards are. Some sync issues have cropped up, but in operation I'm mostly pleased with it. I also think the complaints about sound quality are overblown; mine sounds fine - perhaps a bit better than the 5.5G 80GB it replaces.

More later tonight (on the way to see The Brave One right now).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just saw that Apple posted a firmware update yesterday evening that appears to have taken care of some of the interface lagginess that many are reporting. I'll install it tonight.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I believe the 1.0.1 firmware update is only for the iPod classic. There's supposed to be one coming for the 3G iPod nano that will correct an issue of occasional video playback freezes.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Thanks for checking, Craig.

This is unrelated to the problem I observed earlier (which seems to be an isolated incident -- I'll tell you about it if I find out what caused it), but I noticed that on a new Nano, when the battery starts to get really low that CoverFlow gets quite sluggish. Maybe it's a power-saving move, throttling down the processor as the charge drops?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

What are the chances Apple would re-design the iPod Touch and add a physical volume button?

I've read some good and some bad about the Touch, but the worst thing I've read (as it would apply to me at least) is that it has no physical button to adjust the volume.

I don't have to take my iPod out of my pocket to adjust the volume, and I like it that way because I ride the subway daily. I can't think of many things I'd like to do less than show off a nice new iPod Touch on a NYC subway. :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not sure on that. I'd rather have the one click fast forward on the earbuds that the iPhone has.

I was in the apple store last night before going to the rainforest cafe to meet friends for dinner. At 8 o clock at night on a saturday there were over 75 people in the store and I saw tons BUYING not just browsing. it was insane.

I tried out the Nano there, it was really slick but I agree the menus are VERY sluggish!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

That would be true if it's still using the 1.0 firmware but the 1.0.1 firmware has speeded up the menus quite a bit, especially Cover Flow.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Sam, I was at the Apple store on 5th Ave earlier in the week at Noon and the place was crazy too. They had the Touch when I got there, I was on line about 5 people away from the register after a 15 minute wait when they announced it as sold out. So close!

Though now I'm not sure I want it due to what I mentioned above.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Just get some headphones that have a built-in volume control on the wire. Leave the iPod volume at 2/3rds or so, and use the wire to turn it down.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so i now have an ipod classic 80

i keep getting an error pop up while trying to put stuff on the ipod.

"attempting to copy to the disc holly's ipod, failed.
the disc could not be read from or written to."

i get to around 300 songs then this pops up.

what is going on.

i have no trouble syncing all the same stuff onto my iphone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i figured it out.

seems the new ipod is more sensitive to hiccups on song files then the iphone.

i had to go threough each playlist to see what one had a bad file on it.

and only put one PL at a time back on the ipod until i found what pl wouldnt load.

i found 3 songs on three seperate pl that caused the loading troubles.
all work on the iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks