What's new

New HT Setup...Need a Little Help :) (1 Viewer)

First off, I would to say that is in an absolutely fabulous forum!!! I have been searching for a single information source for all my HT questions. Just by dumb luck, I happened to do a search on Google for "Home Theater Forum" and this was the first hit on the list...go figure ;) I spent the first 2 days just browsing numerous posts. I must say...I am seriously impressed with the wealth of knowledge displayed here.
Anyways, enough shmoozing and on to the topic at hand. I just recently acquired a new AV receiver and need a little help getting some of my connex figured out.
Here is my current HT equipment:
AV Receiver: Denon AVR-4802
Television: Toshiba TP55H95
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-434
Sat. Receiver: RCA DRD515RB
VCR1: Panasonic PV-8450
CD Player: HK FL 8300
Before I begin, I will say that the Digital Audio Inputs on the Denon are mappable. Here is how I have them mapped:
SAT --> Optical Digital 1
DVD --> Optical Digital 2
CD --> Coaxial Digital 1
OK...here are the connections that I currently have:
TV AV Receiver
Component In --> Monitor Component Out
S-Video Video1 In --> Monitor S-Video Out
Composite Video1 In --> Monitor Composite Out
DVD AV Receiver
Component Out --> DVD Component In
Optical Digital Out --> Optical Digital In #2
VCR1 AV Receiver
Composite Video In --> VCR1 Composite Video Out
Composite Audio (R/L) In --> VCR1 Composite Audio (R/L) Out
Composite Video Out --> VCR1 Composite Video In
Composite Audio (R/L) Out --> VCR1 Composite Audio (R/L) In
SAT AV Receiver
S-Video Out --> SAT/DBS S-Video In
Optical Digital Out --> Optical Digital In #1
CD AV Receiver
Coaxial Digital Out --> Coaxial Digital In #1
I hope that helps as far as drawing a picture of my AV connex!
Here is my problem. I can watch DVD fine on Component Video. I can watch Satellite fine on Video1. However, I am not getting a picture when trying to watch a tape on teh VCR. I have teh TV set to Video1 (although I have tried every video source on the TV), I can hear the sound, but no picture. When I look over my connex, everything makes sense to me. I'm not sure why I am not getting a picture.
Let me also state that right now the satellite cable coming from the wall jack is running directly into teh SAT receiver (not thru the VCR..although this should have nothing to do with this problem). The reason I state this is because I need some guidance as to how I should run the satellite signal so I can record programs on VCR1 (preferrably while watching another channel).
I know I have asked a lot and sincerely appreciate any advice the extremely knowledgeable people in this forum can supply! Maybe I can return the favor sometime by answering computer related questions since I am a Systems Engineer :)
If I left any details out or if more information is needed, please tell me and I will respond ASAP!
Thanks again,
John

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Don't know if I can be of much assistance, but, have you checked the VCR/TV button on the VCR to make sure it is on VCR? Is the audio coming from the tape you are playing or from a TV channel? If from the tape, the VCR/TV setting is correct and the problem is somewhere else. You can also try running (for test purposes) the VCR directly to the inputs on the TV, That would tell you where the problem is. If that works, the problem is in the receiver hookup. If it doesn't, the problem is in your VCR or, more likely, your cables.
As far as your watching/recording question, a simple solution would be to buy a two way splitter and run the output of your sat box through it. One output to the TV and the other to the VCR.
Hope I was of some assistance.
RichN

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
John --
Welcome to HTF, and I'd like to compliment you on that detailed listing of your setup. I'm sure it was a lot of work to prepare, but it's the kind of info that greatly increases the odds of someone solving the puzzle.
I think your problem may be here:
Monitor Composite Out
In many TVs, the S-video input overrides the corresponding composite. If you so much as insert a connector for S-video, the composite is deactivated. That's how my Toshiba set works.
Try separating the composite and S-video inputs on the TV; put one on Video 1 and the other on Video 2. If it works (and I suspect it will), you'll just have to remember to select the right input on the TV.
M.

Thanks for the response Rich!
I have toggled the TV/VCR button on the VCR and it did not chnage anything. Also, teh audio IS coming from the tape (my girlfriend's Taebo tape...only one I could find ;) ). I have hooked up the VCR directly to the TV and it works fine.
Thanks for teh advice on the splitter...I'll look into that!
John

Michael wins the prize (ding ding ding)!!!

I moved the Composite Monitor Out cable to Video2 on the TV and there was Billy Banks doing his Taebo thing!!!

I can't thank you enough Michael. If my GF didn't get her Taebo back, I would have been in the doghouse!

Now to Rich's suggestion. Can some just give me a quick "How-To" with the Satellite coaxial connex when using the splitter (unless of course there is another/better suggestion).

Does the Satellite cable need to even pass thru teh VCR if I want to tape satellite broadcasts? I suspected that the AV receiver would pass along all necessary video/audio data. If I leave my connex the way they are now, will I be able to tape the channel I am watching (at least)?

Thanks again for the help!

John

Crissy_S

Auditioning
I had the same problem - couldn't get the get the picture from the vcr but was able to hear the sound. I found out I had a lose connection.

One important thing I found out was, to tape from the satellite dish with the vcr output and input connected to the receiver, you have to have the receiver on. This wouldn't work for me since I tape stuff on the vcr mostly when I am not home and I wouldn't want to leave the receiver on while I am not home. Therefore, I have the vcr output connected to the receiver, but the vcr input connected to a second a/v output on the satellite receiver. The other satellite output is going to the receiver.

I hopes this helps. I know I spent way too many hours trying to figure out why the vcr wasn't working.

Thanks for the advice Crissy! Let me ask one question: with the connection made that way, can you only tape the channel you are watching?

Thanks,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks