What's new

New DVD Player - Rotel, NAD, or Panny Rp 56? (1 Viewer)

Gary Dehardt

Agent
I don't think I can hold out any longer. I'll be purchasing a dvd player in the next couple of months.

The more I research players, the more frustrating it becomes - it seems somebody has something negative to say about every player. I have a Sony '32 Trintron (no component output) and am inclined to purchase the Panny RP 56 or the Toshiba 4700.

However, I have the opportunity to purchase the Rotel 995 from a local dealer for $450, which is about half price. I can also get a good deal on the NAD T531. I don't know whether these players are much better than the Panasonic or Toshiba models (I do know, of course, that they're more expensive). I won't be able to take advantage of progressive video or component output until I buy a new TV, which won't happen for at least 2 yrs.

I'm just wondeing if anyone has any thoughts/observations, particularly re: the Rotel 995. If I buy the Panny/Toshiba, I can use the extra money to buy a Definitive Technology Sub 80 (my setup currently has no sub). So, that's another consideration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
OK. You will not have use for progressive scan for 2 years? IF i were you (im not ;)) i would go for a cheaper interlaced player now because once you upgrade that TV you will want a good progressive player. Buying a good prog play wont hurt but two years in this field is a long time fo things to change and there may very well be much better players to hook uo the new TV and take advantage of it.. Just my 2cents

Gary Dehardt

Agent
Thanks. I've written off the NAD and Rotel and will probably buy the 56 or the Toshiba 4700. As far as I can tell, people seem to be split over which is the better player.

Just wondering - and I hate to beat a dead horse, as I know it's been addressed on these boards - but if anyone has a strong opinion as to what player out there has the best non-progressive scan picture for >$350, I'd love to hear about it.

JonBouche

Agent
The main reason I would not consider the 56 is because it only has an optical digital out, so you are forced to use a Toslink cable, vs a regular digital coax out, which allows you a simpler and cheaper connection.

However, I myself would not chose the 4700 because I bought one just after X-mas and took it back after 2 days because it would not play some brand new DVD's that had never been played before. I then put both DVD's on my old machine and never missed a beat. This may not be the norm for Toshiba, but since I previously owned a Toshiba and started getting disc read errors after about 1 year, I won't be looking at them anytime in the future. But, this may be your best option in this price range.

I also agree that if you are not going to be purchasing a TV that will accept a progressive signal for a few years, I would not make that feature a requirement on your DVD purchase. But, having that option will not hurt you at all, as you don't have to use it now.

The NAD and Rotel will give you better CD performance if that is at all important to you.

This is a really tough issue right now that is being discussed all over the web. You may try looking at a Pioneer or Sony in this price range.

Gary Dehardt

Agent
>The main reason I would not consider the 56 is because it >only has an optical digital out, so you are forced to use >a Toslink cable, vs a regular digital coax out, which >allows you a simpler and cheaper connection.

I'm a newbie. So I'm not sure what all of that means - how much more expensive/inconvenient is a Toslink cable?

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
On average, Toslink cables are more expensive than co-ax. They are also more delicate...don't bend them too hard. Also, I don't like the way toslink connects. Unless you know better, it doesn't seem to be connected properly, as if the cable could fall out easily...which it can.

That said, I wouldn't base my DVD player purchase on the fact that toslink is the only audio connection. I have a cheap Sanyo player that I bought August 2000. It uses only toslink and, other than the cable falling off if you move the DVD player around, I have no problem with the connection. (buy the way, if anyone is looking for a cheap player, I've had no problems to speak of with the Sanyo and would certainly recommend it over the cheap no name players on the market).

Whether there is any difference in sound quality is debatable.

If you come to the conclusion that the Panasonic is the unit you want. Buy a decent toslink cable for it, hook it up, and enjoy.

Larry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks