What's new

NEW Disney Movie Club Exclusives 4/20/2021 -- The Black Cauldron 30th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
MONTY PYTHON'S screaming old man can be heard yet -- I'm Not Dead Yet. I'm feeling better, I'm Happy.

Just when you thought the line was dead and buried Disney pulls a rabbit out of its hat and throws the Collectors a big Bone (or a big FU depending on your bent in life).
And the Blu-ray.com members are going to be eating their hearts out not being able to discuss this item.
Maybe there is some hope for the other Compilations now and maybe some new Live Exclusives after over 18 months since the last Bluray exclusive
Yes -- it's an exclusive, yes that means limitations both in availability and content, but ...............

THE BLACK CAULDRON 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY $24.95

Plot Summary
Fantasy, magic and fun are all brewed together in Disney's legendary adventure The Black Cauldron! Whoever releases the mysterious Black Cauldron's powers will be invincible! The fearsome Horned King will do anything to possess it, but he is challenged by the most unlikely adversary: a young assistant pig keeper named Taran who dreams of doing heroic deeds. With a motley team, Taran embarks on a quest to stop the Black Cauldron's evil once and for all.

That's all I've got, but DMC Exclusives virtually never have extras added, but this is one of the handful on Animated Titles that have been asked for and asked for and asked for the better part of the last decade.

2171750.jpg

Also along for the ride a movie that is sometimes included as Disney Canon depending on your country. A thoroughly mediocre nonDisney Disney movie though it's not actually a bad movie.

DMC Exclusive Valiant Blu-ray $24.95

2171830.jpg

Plot Summary
The world is looking for a hero, and it's up to a pigeon named Valiant to step up and bravely serve his country. Valiant and his fine feathered friends take to the sky on a wing and a prayer and prove that it's not your wingspan but the size of your spirit that truly counts. From the producer of Shrek and Shrek 2, Valiant delivers stunning animation, a topflight voice cast and an action-packed story loaded with laughs.

From Vanguard Films and Animation and distributed by Disney
Some A+ voice talent though
Ewan McGregor ... Valiant (voice)
Ricky Gervais ... Bugsy (voice)
Tim Curry ... Von Talon (voice)
Jim Broadbent ... Sergeant (voice)
Hugh Laurie ... Gutsy (voice)
John Cleese ... Mercury (voice)
John Hurt ... Felix (voice)

Just b/c I don't want to make a separate post in the DMC thread, some other interesting new items listed this month

Joy
Romancing the Stone
Mrs Doubtfire
Nomadland -- wasn't really expecting this one
That Thing that You Do

a bunch of multidisc old titles bundles items
Avenger 4 Film BD Collection
Beauty and the Beast BD (1991 and 2017)
Cinderella (Animated and Live) BD
Sleeping Beauty + Maleficent BD
and of course Fantasia/F2000/Celebrating Mickey

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it has been available on Disney+ since launch. For people who are 4K equipped, the 4K streaming version would probably still be better than a 1080p Blu-ray. But since I'm not 4K equipped, I'll be quite happy to add the Blu-ray disc version to my collection.

Now the only Animated Classics in the Walt Disney Animation Studios canon that have not been released to Blu-ray disc are Make Mine Music and Melody Time. Plus the extended cut of Pocahontas which only ever appeared on DVD needs to be restored.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
1 more down, 2 to go (Make Mine Music/Melody Time) to complete the official US Canon.

Pre-Covid there was a couple comments made by DMC reps in either late 2019 or early 2020 to 'keep your eyes open for something interesting.' I mostly chalked it up to Social Media non-answers since I never believed low level Disney employees ever had any knowledge on disc releases until a few weeks prior to street.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not sure why a Blu-ray release of Nomadland would be considered a surprise. Of course Disney is going to release a physical edition of the Best Picture frontrunner. I never thought they wouldn't do this for a film of that notoriety.

Finally getting around to The Black Cauldron is a much bigger surprise to me.

THE BLACK CAULDRON 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY $24.95

30th Anniversary? Hmm? Disney's numbering is way off here.

The Black Cauldron was released in 1985, which makes this year the 36th anniversary.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not sure why a Blu-ray release of Nomadland would be considered a surprise. Of course Disney is going to release a physical edition of the Best Picture frontrunner. I never thought they wouldn't do this for a film of that notoriety.
I just assumed Hulu's exclusive streaming rights (like Netflix) put a damper on any upcoming blu ray release although I wouldn't have been surprised if Criterion released it (I fully expect Criterion to release Mank on blu ray considering their past history with Fincher) so yes, it came out of nowhere for some of us ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just assumed Hulu's exclusive streaming rights (like Netflix) put a damper on any upcoming blu ray release although I wouldn't have been surprised if Criterion released it (I fully expect Criterion to release Mank on blu ray considering their past history with Fincher) so yes, it came out of nowhere for some of us ;)
The April 27th release date has been on my Pre-Order Listing for weeks. The Amazon link hasn't been listed on Amazon yet which isn't surprising with it being a Disney/Fox Searchlight title, but it's been active on Deep Discount.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just assumed Hulu's exclusive streaming rights (like Netflix) put a damper on any upcoming blu ray release

Hulu doesn't get to control that film because it is not a Hulu exclusive. It was put on Hulu at the same time as its "wide" theatrical expansion as a response to COVID but it's not something that they financed or own. So that's a different situation as compared to films that were actually developed for Hulu. They have subscription streaming exclusivity (meaning that it won't appear on a competing service like Netflix), but you could also buy or rent it from services like Vudu or iTunes or somewhere like that.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

Finally getting around to The Black Cauldron is a much bigger surprise to me.

30th Anniversary? Hmm? Disney's numbering is way off here.

The Black Cauldron was released in 1985, which makes this year the 35th anniversary.

Not a surprise that Nomadland is being released on Bluray, but my surprise was that it's part of DMC. I'm still getting a feel for the way DMC is incorporating the 'Fox/2oth Century' Adult titles. For many years, DMC basically ignored the non Kids films, but with the Fox buyout they are definitely changing their selections back to more 2010-2014 era where a lot more non-Family or non-kid titles were part of the club.

I wasn't even paying attention to the 30th ANNIVERSARY label. I went back and checked DMC and they certainly have it labelled that way. DMC Exclusives have often followed Anniversaries (or near anniversaries +/- a year). I wonder if that's an actual typo they'll correct OR if possibly there was some plans to release it back in 2015/2016 and scuttled it for some reason and forgot to correct the promo material they did back then.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I mistyped that this year would be the 35th anniversary. It's actually 36. (1985-2021.) It would probably be best for Disney to drop anniversary branding on this. But then again, sometimes they don't include a number. The Little Mermaid Signature which was released in 2019 is the 30th Anniversary, but the packaging just says Anniversary Edition without including a number. So they really don't care about numerical accuracy.

Last edited:

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Anyone know the best current promo code to sign up with?

I used to use one that got me 5 titles for $1, a blanket and free shipping for the lifetime of the membership.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks