What's new

Netflix Instant View - What's On! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I have not seen a thread about this.

I have Netflix Instant View New Choices set up in my Google Reader feed. This morning, I saw that Netflix Instant View is now offering all four seasons of Lost. The fact that this service comes free with my Netflix subscription is incredible. What are some of the offerings through Instant View that have surprised you?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
hmmm, I thought I had commented on this yesterday, but it might have been when the mods decided to move your thread. Anyhow, again, for me the word surprised doesn't really fit. I am pleased to be able to stream and watch early seasons of shows like Dexter, Dead Like Me and 30 Rock, all of which I somehow missed for one reason or another....

The movie selection seems to be improving steadily, but it is a great way to watch some older fare as well. I suppose the one film that I have seen on there that surprised me was Bad Day At Black Rock, one of my favorites...

I love Netflix, but apparently not everyone does. Seems like a pretty weak argument....

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm a member of Netflix, but don't stream their movies. I bought my surround system because I like surround sound, and the streaming isn't in surround. Pro Logic is ok for tv shows, but not for movies..............

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ed, I hear you, but for some movies surround doesn't make or break it for me. Especially if your system has reasonable DSP capabilites. I have a Denon receiver that does a fair job with psuedo surround modes, which I am sure your Onkyo does as well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was shocked at how good the surround was in Planet Terror. Don't knock it till you try it!

We are in the top half of the first inning of downloadable movies. It only gets better from here. I used to consider myself a collector only. Now I have come to the fiscal realization that I don't need to spend to own everything I watch, there are only a small subset of my DVD/Blu collection i will ever watch more than once and an embarrassing number that I will never even open. Honestly, for me that's just stupid, even at closeout prices. And I also realize that I don't have the space to store the thousands of movies I once envisioned collecting nor the tenacity to catalog them effectively. There is something freeing about having thousands of songs in the palm of your hand and I imagine it will be even cooler to do so with videos. Plus, the DVD experience of filling EVERY disk, no matter how bad or banal, with endless extra content has left me exhausted. The list of films I will willfully watch the extras on is even smaller than the list of those I will watch twice. I simply don't have the time or interest any more.

"Here we are now, entertain us" indeed!

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
There are some TV shows where one or more episodes in the season is missing from the streaming option on Netflix. For example, Columbo Season One has the first three episodes on disc only, and the fourth episode is the first one available to stream. Similarly, Doctor Who does not have the 2007 Christmas Special available with Season Four on Netflix's streaming service.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Shows like 30 Rock and Farscape have complete seasons available to watch. Are there music rights issues or something that leave those episodes unavailable? Is Netflix working to resolve this? I love the streaming service, but gaps in a series sort of defeat the purpose of offering the shows online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks