What's new

Need your help - Copyright Infringement and the computer (1 Viewer)

Joel Turpin

Agent
Hey everybody,
My fiance (from Austria) is here in Kansas City pursuing her LLM in American Law at UMKC (University of Missouri, Kansas City).
She has a number of large papers coming due in the next month. One of them is a thirty page paper concerning Copyright infringement. Specifically, how the computer has affected it and the issues that have been created with the technological leaps and bounds of the last decade.
I'm doing my best to help her out on the research front, and just thought that since there are so many instances where this touches our little corner of the world that maybe some of you would have some good ideas to help us out. Links to any articles which discuss the issue, or websites dealing with it would be great.
We're talking about everything from the ability to burn CD's on your PC, Software piracy, bootleg DVDs, to posting copyrighted material on your website without permission.
Again, I'm not looking for any "how-to" guides to bootlegging, or anything that violates forum policy. Just some good ideas and/or links to discussions and articles on this topic.
Thanks,
Joel
BTW - I'm going to point her to this thread, so if you would like to post but don't want her to possibly quote you in her paper, please indicate your desire.
Thanks again.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
This is a bit broad, but go to slashdot.org and do a search on DMCA (digital millenium copyright act). This is some legislation that was passed is responce to what copyrights current technology lets us bypass (or that hollywood thinks we can). There is a lot of noise in that forum but you should find some excellent posts and links if you dig deep enough to other material and sites on the issue, and not just the DMCA. You might also try the same search at kuro5hin.org, the site is a bit smaller but the average poster is smarter and better informed.
Hope this helps.
[Edited last by Mark Schermerhorn on October 25, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

Darren H

Second Unit
Joel, try to track down a copy of Internet Law and Business Handbook, by J. Dianne Brinson and Mark F. Radcliffe. It's one of the few comprehensive textbooks on the subject, and it has the advantage of being a very recent publication, which is critical in an area that changes so rapidly. There are a couple used copies ($35) available from Amazon.

Joel Turpin

Agent
Everybody,
Thanks for your input so far. I've passed it along to Anita and she's checking out the recommendations.
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks