What's new

Need some opinion on a CD player purchase...(newbie) (1 Viewer)

Arnie_A

Agent
Hello all. I'm a newbie and this is my first post in the forum. I have a small dilemma. My H/K FL8380 CD changer just gave way after 3 months of use. It couldn't ready ANY CD that I put in it. I'll bring it to Circuit City tonight to get it fixed (Manuf Warranty + Extended Warranty).

After researching the FL8380's reliability, it seems it's common for that model to have problems. This prompted me to research other CD players.

My setup is for 90% music in a small living room.

This is my equipment list:

Marantz SR6200
B&W DM601 S3
Velodyne CHT-10

Bose VCS-10 center
Bose AM-3 cubes as surrounds -- Again, I don't care much about multichannel cause I listen to 2ch music about 90-95% of the time.

Now my question comes: Should I look for a CD player that has a good DAC or get a simple one like Sony and use the receiver's DAC?

If I get a NAD 541i or Arcam 62T, I'm not sure if the receiver's amplifier frequency response will be limiting music quality or the CD player's DAC (most likely the former).

If I get a Sony 222ES or Denon 370, I'm sure that the receiver's DAC will be the limiting factor with music quality.

My budget is up to $500.

I've already searched the board on CD player recommendations and I already have an idea. I just want to verify the route that I should go --

Get a reliable CD player with a good DAC and use the Rx's analog inputs

- or -

Get a reliable "regular" CD player with whatever DAC and use the Rx's DAC?

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
The HK cd player has a disk reading problem consistently.
Your dilemma is very difficult/loaded and as of yet I have always preferred using the cd player a transport in my limited experience.

Edit: There have been a couple of times where I have preferred analog out, but there is almost always a again difference you have to adjust for when switching between the 2 dacs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Arnie, regardless of what player you get, you should compare the sound with the analog and digital outputs, thereby comparing the player's and receiver's DACs. Also, you should compare the players you have listed. Judge them in your system with your favorite music, if you can. Note that the Sony 'C222ES also plays SACDs, which should not be overlooked. You have to use the analog outputs for SACD, but you can still use a digital output for CD, if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks