What's new
World Wide Stereo

need help with choosing reciever (1 Viewer)

David Kyser

Agent
In the past it was always easy buy an H/K, but these just don't have the features you need anymore. I am kind of at a loss this year. I tried the Pioneer 912 but it didn't have the power I needed. I am upgrading from an H/K 120 which has the power but not the features I need like:

1. Autoswitch from analog to dig coax and viceversa for my cablebox source
2. 5.1 inputs, preferably 2 sets
3. 5 A/V inputs: DVD,VCR,DC,HTPC,Cablebox
4. killer H/K type amp that can handle big effecient speakers

Any suggestions? Considering a Panasonic XR45, cant tell if it does #1? I am no brand loyalist, willing to try anything.

728x90

John S

Senior HTF Member
1. Autoswitch does not always work, from all sources, it can and most always is the fault of the device, not your autoswithcing avr though.

2. 2 sets of analog 5.1 inputs is rare, I am surprised the Panny XR45 has this.

3. Lots of recievers have lots of video inputs. Not very many have DVI at all yet. And even higher end AVR's seem to only have three Component Video inputs. But lots of svideo and composite.

4. What speakers in particular? Most modern mid-fi AVR's have plenty of power for most people.

David Kyser

Agent
The H/K line offers no Auto-sensing of a dig input (switch from analog to dig if dig present)

These speakers are the Infinity Studio Monitors (10" in front 8" in back), the H/K 120 drives them fine, I tried a Pioneer 912 and it would go into overload.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd see if I could still get in on a Denon 3803 from 6Ave for like $698 to your door.

I believe it only has one 6 channel analog in though, but I could be wrong on that. I own a Denon 4802 myself.

What sort of budget are we talking about here?

ben_hugh

Auditioning
I concur with Michael, you can't go wrong with the Yamaha RXV-1400 or RXV-2400.

I think Onkyo receivers have auto-sensing?

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator

It does too. The AVR-325 will if you use digital coax 2 and video 2 analog. I'm pretty sure the 525 will too.

David Kyser

Agent
They make no mention in their manuals, also my AVR 120 wouldn't auto sense. Do you know if the 125 or 225 have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks