What's new

Need help with Blu-ray connections to Mitsubish WS-55313 HDTV (1 Viewer)

dcknsn1

Auditioning
Real Name
Kurt Dickinson
I just bought a Panasonic DMP-BD60-K Blu-ray player, and I want to connect it to my Mitsubishi WS-55313 HDTV. My TV does not have a HDMI input, it has a "monitorlink/DVI" input for the HD input. I have my Directv HD-DVR plugged into this input. I'm trying to figure out where to plug in the blu-ray player.

If I plug the blu-ray into the "YPbPr" inputs, will I have any loss of picture quality? Or, are there any other options, such as some sort of splitter coming into the DVI input on my TV? Also, I believe my TV supports 1080i, and not 1080p. Is this a problem? I have a surround sound system with optical inputs that I plan on using for the audio hookups. Thank you for your help!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Component video is perfectly fine, set the Blu-ray player for 1080i output. DVD will be limited to 480p, which is probably best anyway since your set can scan at 480p native. I have the same TV, using the Sony BDP-S350.

Some number of years from now, it's possible that BD producers will start using the "image constraint token" on the discs. This will limit the component to 480p on those discs. If that comes to pass, then you'll need a HDMI->DVI cable, and some sort of switcher for the HDMI, good excuse to upgrade to a receiver.

dcknsn1

Auditioning
Real Name
Kurt Dickinson

Is there any loss of picture quality between 1080pand 1080i? I already have a HDMI->DVI cable, so anyone know where I could get a switcher?

I am somewhat considering upgrading my TV to a flat panel, hopefully one with more than one HDMI input. I just want whatever gets me the best quality picture from my blu-ray and my HD-DVR.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It looks like your TV is an older rear projection, which means it's analog. So one drawback to using the component inputs is that the BR will not upscale standard DVDs. Newer TV are all digital, so this doesn't matter as they have to upscale anyway.

On the other hand, there's not much you can do about this other than get another upscaling DVD player.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

It's an advantage not a drawback! The TV can scan at 480p native which is ideal for DVD. Upscaling can soften the picture. Scaling is a necessary evil on fixed pixel displays, but not on a CRT that supports that scan rate.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Ha! So Stephen, are you in Marketing or Customer Support?

Kidding aside, I'll take that good news, since I'm in the same boat as the OP. All this time I felt cheated when the "no upconvert for you" message was displayed. Now I can sit there and give them a silent bird.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

Yes, there is some small loss between 1080p & 1080i, but that can't be helped on that CRT. I wouldn't bother hooking up the HDMI switcher until/if BDs actually start showing up that restrict component output.

A 1080p flat panel would have better static resolution, perfect geometry vs. CRT, but would lose in other areas like black levels, contrast, and motion blur in the case of LCD. So it's not a slam dunk that going flat panel would be better overall picture quality. I have the same set, personally I don't feel it's worth upgrading at this time; I'm waiting a few years for technologies to improve further (or come out, like OLED), & prices to drop on the larger sets. No way would I want anything smaller, and flat panel would be pushed back closer to the wall so I'd need something bigger to maintain equivalent field of view at the same viewing distance. Blu-ray looks damn good at 1080i, I definitely don't feel like I'm missing out on anything compared to when I watch the same disc at my mother's house on a 1080p LCD.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I had the same problem. I have a Mit's WS-55413 and it has only the "one" DVI connection. I was using my PS3 with component and Blu-Ray came out 1080i but my regular DVD's were only comming out 480p. I switched up the cable and starting using the DVI and whala! 1080i on everything. You need a splitter. You could use an HDMI: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Or You could use a DVI: For only $28.60 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2X1 Enhanced Powered DVI Switcher | Auto/Powered DVI Switch

You said your already using the DVI connection for you Directv reciever, so you'd need two more cables. I have a extra one (HDMI to DVI) from Blue Jeans Cable (5 or 6 foot I think...I'd have to look.) DVI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

If you have any other question's just ask, I've proably already done it with my tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks