What's new

Need AVR recommendation, $650 and under (1 Viewer)

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Hello.
My second post here, and looking for advice on AVR choice. I had previously considered buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-60 to start my new home theater system, but now I'm wondering if I need all of its extras and could get what I want for less with another Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha? Would consider other brand.
Here's my wish list...
• Very good sound, of course
• 5.1 (I'm going to hook them up to Def Tech 600s)
• Apple friendly
• Attractive, east-to-use interface
• at least 80W per channel
• Reliable
• Enough ports to connect to BluRay, TV, PS3 and possibly Apple TV
• Sirius/XM
• Front USB for iPods/iPad/iPhone
• Bluetooth a plus
Thanks!

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Just about any mid range reciever will fit the bill. I recently picked up a Pioneer VSX-32 for $399 and it's working great. Look for features more then power. Power ratings on receivers are for the most part, useless. Technically going from 90wpc to 180wpc will only deliver a 3DB increase in volume. And after I tested the 110wpc rating of the amp in my receiver against my external amp rated at 85 wpc, I found that I was able to get 5db more, clean volume from the lower rated amp, making it almost 4 times more powerful
That would make my Parasound HCS-855 (85x5) equal to about a 400x5 Pioneer Elite receiver.
Search around this site for online retailers that are known to carry factory refurbs and close outs on quality brands. I found my Pioneer at a local Best Buy, and open box, recently discontiued model marked down from $999 to $399

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, walk into your local BestBuy and ask them what they have in the back room. They might surprise you. Otherwise, a Denon 2312, Onkyo 709, Pioneer 1121 (if you can still find it) and Yamaha 673 can be found around that price range.
Factory refurbished is a good way to go http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks