What's new

Need amp/receiver suggestions for a 2.1 system (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Hi,

I have two B&W 685's and an as of yet purchased sub that I want to use with my computer. I need a suitable, good quality amp or receiver (nothing over $1000) to match. All I need is an optical-in and a subwoofer port.

Suggestions?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
That amp would certainly work, but it's an odd choice unless you have specific reasons for going that way. It won't play very loud, what with the amp having 30w output and the B&Ws at 87 sensitivity (although loud enough if you aren't looking to rock the house).

For the same amount of money you could go this way and get more power and pre-amp functionality:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-n602/?mode=model

Or stay with an amp-only and get more power:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s301/?mode=model

(I like Yamaha so chose them for my examples, but similar choices are available with other manufacturers.)

If you're in a dorm and looking to save space the Denon might be okay but even then I think there are cheaper options. What input sources will you be connecting?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you have an optical/digital coax output on your computer you won't need that DAC just plug it straight in. That amp has both digital inputs and a dedicated sub out. Depending on price it might be advantageous to look at an AVR vs a stereo amp if you know you're running a 2.1 setup. You could probably save a bit of money, get more digital inputs and more power. It's just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks