What's new

Need Advice on Which High Quality 7.1 A/V Receiver To Buy (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I am in the market for a new A/V receiver for the upstairs HT and could really use some advice/suggestions.

Here are some of the specs/features I am currently interested in:

MUST HAVE:
  • High Quality Audio Performance (vague I know, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion of what they consider and do not consider to be 'High Quality'. I will only add that I am not impressed by brand names or even spec sheets. I am a value conscious consumer who is willing to pay for a discernable increase in value added performance.)
  • 7.1 Channels
  • DTS-ES
  • Dolby-EX
  • A/V Sync Delay (a must have for most HT users)
WOULD REALY LIKE TO HAVE:ADDED VALUE BUT NOT A PRIORITY:
  • HDCD
  • Multi-Zone Capability
If there are some other specs/features you think I should consider or if you want to share your thoughts on any that are listed please share them with me!

BTW: Price is not an issue, performance and value are.

Thanks again and I look forward to any feeback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The obvious question... HOW MUCH? Next would be what speakers and what size room?

High quality means you would be looking at around the $1-1.5K range to me. The "must" features you list are talking about can be found on most receivers today, so then it becomes more about the other features. ALL 7.1 receivers are going to have ES and EX; that would more or less be the point of a 7.1 receiver. If you have DTS-ES, you will almost certainly have NEO:6.

A/V sync delay is, as their article notes, only an issue for certain types of displays. I've never experienced it in any of the many systems I've setup.

I think I only noticed one new receiver with Dolby plus, and I can't remember which it was.

Based on your info, you might want to look at the offerings from NAD; they seem to have many of the things you are looking for.

I have a DVD player with Dolby Headphone. Cool yes, but not as impressive as it sounds.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Nils,

The Harman/Kardon AVR635 receiver has ALL the features you have listed plus it is one of the best sounding machines available in its price range.

jeremyCH

Auditioning
Nils,

There are a few receivers you can check out. I would look at the Rotel RSX 1067, Arcam AVR-300, and the NAD T773. All are great sounding,top notch I would say, and are around the same price.

You can't go wrong with any of these three.

Good luck.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
It looks like I am going to wait until CEDIA (September) to make a decision so if anyone has any additional recommendations or insights please feel free to chime in.

Daman

Second Unit
Nils i would suggest you add Marantz 7500 and 8500 to that list as well.. as musical as the harmon kardon's and better in movies :) IMHO

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Since you can wait, why not wait till there is a receiver with DTS-HD, and Dolby Plus. Toshiba is going ahead and releasing its HD-DVD players later this year along with some HD-DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks