What's new

Need a POWERFUL and EASY TO CONFIGURE wireless router that is not LINKSYS (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I disagree. As long as you know what you're getting, it's fine. The products still work . . . it's not as though since the draft didn't pass that your new router and wireless card are going to instantly die a terrible death.

Also, the article says that nobody on the committee expects any draft to pass until September of 2007. Now consider who started this thread. Ron has made it pretty well-known that he likes the newest/best things around. I would definitely be willing to bet that he plans to upgrade his computer equipment at least once prior to Sept of '07.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

In retrospect, it would have been the better and cheaper route
to go.

However, I was so pissed off at Linksys and the fact they didn't
want to accept responsibility that their new router was at fault,
that I decided to go with another company.

Quite frankly, I am so happy with Belkin that I doubt I'll ever
go back to using a Linksys router again.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Bottom line is probably that it's the luck of the draw how well you do with any given manufacturers gear; well, that and what clients you use.

If you get all your stuff from one manufacturer, things should usually work. Mixing and matching is supposed to work but it's a bit more dicey in real life.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Ron,

This won't be an issue if the standard is ratified.

I am for adopting early technologies. I just want to make sure my gadget from brand A is compatible with brand B. A standard pretty much guarantees that...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rommel,

I understand what you are saying, but aren't these routers
supposed to be backward compatable to 802.11ab&g?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, with that in mind, the Linksys router should have been
backward compatable to the 802.11 card in my laptop, which
it was not. That was the problem.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Boy are you right about this. I just gave one away & replaced it with the very unit Ron is complaining about & I'm happy as a clam! The Netgear is NOT compatible with Windows XP MC & it kept crashing on me. The Linksys uses Windows' own drivers & set-up & has given me no problems since I installed it!

Rommel_L

Second Unit
This question is probably moot (since you don't use it anymore), were you able to set the Linksys router to "G only" mode? Were you able to set the Intel wireless card to send/receive 802.11 b/g?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hah, just my luck. Guess which (non-refundable due to a Mail in Rebate) router I just bought?

Rommel_L

Second Unit
So which of the two are in favor of? The first link describes the WRT54G v5 as terrible because it's not as hackable as the previous versions and the terrible results it got from IxChariot. The second link describes the WRT54G v5 being tested with the same software (IxChariot) and the only products that beat it are professional and pre-N routers. If you look down the list, it pretty much beat every router IN ITS CLASS (as in regular G routers).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Good point, it seems to hang with the other routers in the $75 range. Though it's hard to like a product that gets built cheaper & cheaper as the years go by.

Looking at those charts, it hurts knowing I could have gotten a Rangemax 240 or D-Link Gaming router for the price I paid for this inferior Linksys SRX. :

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Any other suggestions? The Netgear gigabit Pre-N and some of the others are getting terrible reviews at Newegg and talking about firmware upgrade issues. I'm leaning toward the WRT54GL which allows Linux firmwares and is around $65. I've had mixed experiences with Linksys and terrible experiences with D-Link routers.

Any cable modem recs too?

Dumping my HTPC for Mac innards running XP and OS X. All Macs for wireless, plus HP IPaq and Treo devices.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I went with the GL just in case for firmware issues. Nice to find out that Newegg's free 3-day is really next day delivery at my new place. :) I don't really have an issue with N/PreN because I would trash it in a few years if need be for the speed now, but the reviews weren't great for stability.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Linksys isn't bad if you get a non-v5 with Linux aftermarket firmware.

Other then that, I really like Belkin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks