What's new

Need a Bottom Line Answer/Info on a New Receiver (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, XMAS is coming up and my wife is bugging me for what she can get me. Since I have recently gone Blu Ray, I figure a new receiver would be a good option.

However, I am looking for a new receiver to be "Future Proof" so that I don't have to upgrade again soon.

I want one with the capability to play all the new Hi-Def audio options. (True DD, DTS-MA, PCM 5.1 etc)

Currently, I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray, an HDMI equipped HD cable box and I will probably eventually add on a HD-DVD player.

Based on the research I have done. I think that the Onkyo 605 or 805 should do the trick, but there are a few caveats I have been hearing about them. The first is they they run hot. This receiver would be going in a cabinet that is enclosed except for the sliding paned glass doors in the front. I think there should be plenty of room height wise though. Could this be a significant issue?

The second issue I have seen is that they downrez 1080i to 720p when using a component input and an HDMI output. If I went with the 805, I should be okay since it has three HDMI inputs that should cover the cable box, the PS3 and an eventual HD-DVD player. The 605 is significantly cheaper but it only has 2 HDMI inputs. My TV has three HDMI inputs so worst case I use another input for the cable box but I lose the convenience of having everything run through one input. To work around that potential issue, is there like some kind of HDMI switch available (which I guess could be worse since I would have to get up and change the switch constantly depending on what device to use)

Or, is there another receiver I should consider for my needs?

Brent_S

Second Unit
Why not choose the Onkyo 705? Usually available around $600ish, currently $640 the last time I checked at your nearest Circuit City. 3 HDMI inputs and more processing power than the 605. The 605 can't overlay 7.1 DPL IIx onto 5.1 hi-res formats like the 705/805. The 705 is THX Select instead of Ultra on the 805....probably has some slight video processing differences as well. Looks like the sweet spot of the lineup, IMO.

There are many vendors of HDMI switch boxes. Parts Express currently has a 3-1 auto switching unit by Terk for $65ish.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I assume that has all the same audio decoding capibliities of the 605/805?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks