What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Holy shit, that Mizzou Illinois game was one of the most edge of my seat exciting games for the entire sixty minutes that I've ever seen. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the way Mizzou played, but they did a pretty damn good job against a really stellar team in Illonois. Neither team was really dominant and both relied a lot on luck, but it was tremendously exciting and nervewracking to watch.

But I'd like to see the next couple games from Mizzou now before I figure if they really can take the big 12 north, before this game I'd have been confident in that assertion, now I don't know.

And what of a helluva upset for Michigan. And for a while there Washington State played a really good ball game against Wisconsin. Washington did win against Syracuse and played good ball there, but I don't envy the rest of their schedule.

UCLA clobbered Stanford, but at least Stanford put points on the board, so they seem to be not as bad as they were last year.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Who would've thought that would happen?

I told my roommate a few weeks ago that Appalachian State would give Michigan a run for their money. He insisted that Michigan would roll easy. I told since they are the 2-time defending Division I-AA national champs, they obviously are a very good football team. I asked if he would say the same thing if Grand Valley State University, winner of 4 of the last 5 Division II national championships, was playing Michigan and that shut him up pretty quick! :)

Since I don't get the Big Ten Network (thanks Comcast!), my family and I had to keep track of the game online and on the bottom line on TV. For some reason, the Internet connection went down, so when we saw that it was 32-31 Michigan with :26 seconds left, we figured Game Over. The next time, the score came around, we were stunned to see the final score. We all started celebrating and I called my brother who was at the Notre Dame game with the news.

Ohio State wins, but that was expected and Notre Dame lost, which I expected as well. I can see Notre Dame starting 0-3.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
A lot of people seem disappointed in the USC game for not playing more dominant. I'm willing to give them a pass on the only easy game they have this season (except maybe stanford). But they played really good, solid football. It may not have been flashy, but they put the points on the board, and didn't reveal much from their playbook. And the defense was impressive, Booty was very rarely ever in any danger. The nebraska Game will be a tremendous test and exciting event. Looking forward to it.

I also felt USC played better than LSU or Texas did. And both Cal and Tennessee played great football the first half (didnt' see the second half because of the USC game starting.)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I expected Notre Dame to bad in the post Quinn era but not that bad. They got smoked by GT. I thought the announcers were joking when they said that ND might win 3 games this year.

If Michigan is going to suck it up this year then it's going to be a long winter up there. Their offense looks fine but their Defense is atrocious. Oregon runs yet another spread offense at them which they have issues with.

Also, did anyone else see how Texas barely got by Arkansas State?

Justin*Smith

Agent
I'm not a fan of Cal, but watching that game last night was awesome. I think the Golden Bears might be the fastest team in NCAA football this season. On November 10, when they play USC at home, it's going to be a track meet, with the first team to 50 winning.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Argh, as a KSU Wildcat fan, last nights game was a real heartbreaker.. lead all the way to the last 2 minutes and then fold like a pup tent. Good thing is our QB is still a sophomore and we're very young. We're building something good, but we have to start believing in ourselves again.. we just couldn't close it out.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Regardless K-state's performance for a bunch of folks including myself was surprising. On the road at night in Auburn and Kstate keeps it close. No way I would have predicted that.

Beyond that and the Oklahoma State loss, the Big 12 did well.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Even though I pull for SEC teams in non-conference games I have to say Auburn had no business winning that game, out played in all aspects

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think KSU is a very young program right now. The majority of our starters are Sophomore's & Jrs. I think the Big 12 North is Missouri's to lose, but despite the loss, I feel as though KSU went into a hostile environment in a game Auburn had to think was a "gimmie" and played them tough. The defense looked especially good.

In regards to other games.. Texas looks like they just didn't have their heads in the game and may have some talent trouble. Notre Dame, however, has real talent trouble. It looks as though Clausen may be the real deal at QB, and may find himself starting by the end of the year, but their current QB options are very poor, and not just in athleticism.. they panicked too easily and made terrible decisions on the field.

The only other team I really took notice of is Boise. They came out and played a well coached, dynamic game. For some reason, I watched them and liked the way they organized their play and the way they played. Yes, it was lopsided, but it didn't feel sickening and out of control (see: Louisville). There is a certain point in running up the score where I lose appreciation. I don't have anything against a shellacking, and I think it's wrong to ask kids to "Jake it" but the performance by Louisville started to strike me as offensive when they stuck with a pass-happy attack late, when they could have better used that time to get work in for other athletes on their team to sport and work on offensive line skills, the run, etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Only other thought: Henne is completely out of the Heisman race, and Michigan is completely out of the BCS picture. Who would have thought you'd say that after game 1?

James St

Supporting Actor
Michigan has scheduled a press conference for 1:30. Looks like Lloyd Carr may be gone.

EDIT: False alarm. ESPN is just replaying the Lloyd Carr press conference from this morning.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Agree but Louisville fans would have killed the new coach if they hadn't scored that many. And it's really no worse than other major schools who beat up on these smaller schools. I personally feel sorry for these less talented players who must get embarrassed on television so that the school can make some money.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would say poor Kragthorpe but he walked into a perfect situation. TU fans will miss him but this new coach they have is good too.

Ou had to put in their 3rd and 4th string. They were going for it on 4th and 15 just to run out the clock and in some cases North Texas couldn't stop them.

Watch out for Demarco Murray.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Fortunately, I did not have to witness the debacle in Ann Arbor on Saturday. I caught most of the fourth quarter on the radio after my golf round, and all I can say is I am utterly disgusted with the football program, such as I've never been before.

I've dismissed those who have called for Carr's removal in the past. but this loss is the absolute bottom of the barrel, IMO. I witnessed the near loss to Ball State last season in person, and that pales in comparison to this. There is absolutely no excuse for losing to a I-AA program at home, regardless of how many I-AA championships they have won. Carr needs to be removed.

What a way to piss away an entire season before it even got started. :angry:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Not so fast my friend :P ...A&M will be solid and return to form but I don't think they will survive the schedule. At Miami, Tech, OU, Neb, & Missouri. Brutal. UT has one of the easiest schedules in the nation according to espn. OU looked freakin scary the other night.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Tim,
Miami is coming to Oklahoma next week as well. The Key for OU is their QB. Just don't lose the game is all he needs to do.

If you are still going to be in Norman, I may try to make a special trip for that game. I should be able to get a ticket.

Pretty good game tonight. FSU was being clobbered by Clemson but came back. Clemson nearly gave it away.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even if Michigan remains in the rankings this week (and they do not deserve to be), they will fall out sometime in the next couple of weeks. Their next three games are against Oregon, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oregon will clobber them so they should fall out or to the back end of the Top 25. Oregon runs another spread offense which Michigan couldn't defend.

Notre Dame is an easily winnable game. ND is UGLY this year. Weis will lose his god status quickly.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Which is kind of sad, as it's not really Weiss' fault. They have a QB of the future.. in a year or two.. but the two they have as possibles this year are stiffs.

And their defense lost a great # of starters and is in a shambles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks