What's new

NBC To Bring Back Heroes in Heroes Reborn (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree, except I thought the first season of the original show was really good. They just never figured out where to go from there. Hopefully the intervening several years have given them time to come up with a story worth telling in this universe.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam Lenhardt said:
I agree, except I thought the first season of the original show was really good. They just never figured out where to go from there. Hopefully the intervening several years have given them time to come up with a story worth telling in this universe.

I was a big fan of the series--I think you and I were both around defending it until its final days. However, I don't buy that they never figured out where to take the show. It was abundantly clear that fans and cast alike wanted the show to move more toward a (more) traditional comic style "super team" fighting super villains. The powers-that-be just never wanted to go there. Instead we got origin story after origin story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second season tried to do something different, with a lot of back story on the shadowy powers that be, but because of the writers strike got chopped down to eleven episodes. And then coming back for the third season, they faced a lot of criticism that the second season was all build up with no payoff -- which it was, thanks to the writers' strike -- and after that, like you said, it was all origin stories and endless permutations on the same themes.

What it never recovered from the first season was that strong sense of a story with a beginning, middle and end, with clear stakes and objectives that are known pretty early on. Season one, we knew that there was going to be a nuclear explosion that wiped out New York City, and "save the cheerleader, save the world." None of the other seasons could be reduced to that kind of simple, elegant through line. And with many of the characters, once you peeled a certain number of layers off the onion, there wasn't anything interesting left to reveal.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Weird. Looks like a bunch of posts from a bunch of threads have been deleted. I bumped the thread earlier today to mention that Zach Levi is signed to this, which means I'm in for the first episode against my better judgement.

The thing I came here to say:

Even though the show was rather lousy, I did like some of the characters. Hiro, Peter and Mohinder were pretty good (and I'm a little shocked I remember those names after all these years). Ali Larter, however, was absolute death. I don't know if it's that she's a poor actress, or if it's the way her character was written. I think it was the latter, because she seemed a lot more free and easy as her evil persona. But, when she was cowering in front of a mirror, the show was frozen in time and she became an exposition machine. "I am split into two personalities and seeing myself in the mirror. Oh, what am I going to make myself do now?" Well, I don't remember the details, but the less of her, the better. The NONE of her, the best.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I can't believe I have Heroes Season 1 on HD DVD... :D
I can't believe I have the entire series on DVD. Although only seasons one & two are opened, the others are oddly still in their original plastic wrap. :P

But like Star Trek Next Gen, Enterprise, MTM and others, I had to have the full set.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
I agree. I also kind of hope they keep the same concept and maybe the same universe but don't bring back any of the original characters as main characters. The first season was an excellent season of television, but the subsequent three seasons muddled things so much it'd probably be better to just start with a clean slate.

I would agree too, as the first season was very good. However, I think the producer and writers totally ruined the following seasons. It went no where I expected it to and I always said Tim Kringe was a very appropiate name. He made me "Kringe" with each subsquent show he did.

If it's done the CORRECT way and they keep Kringe totally out of anything to do with the new shows, then it may have a chance. Now that shows like The Flash and SHIELD are being produced, they can see there's a market and perhaps more of what people really want.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They should take a very good '80s Marvel comic called DP7 (Displaced Paranormals 7) and make a show out of that instead. It's basically the same thing: people in a world without superheroes or magic suddenly develop superpowers and have to learn to deal with them. They may have to forget about the shortened form of the title because of juvenile viewers giggling at it, but it has some good characters already fully developed.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The other big issue with the show that I actually remember was that there was at least one episode each season, usually around the 3/4ths mark that was a rip off of X-Men: Days of Future Past. Which wasn't so bad the first time. But then they did it again...and again...and I don't know if they did it anymore because I gave up.

So, I wonder if they'll be doing that in the new series....for one thing, if they've learned from mistakes. For another, now that DOFP has been made into a movie and is more well known.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Actually, if NBC is that desperate Id rather see "Chuck" come back. Since its been on Netflix streaming, the audience has really grown. Never cared much for "Heroes".

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The only thing pulling me into watch this is Zac Levi. Thought he was great in the first two seasons of Chuck and parts of the third season.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Too much TV I struggle to find time for if heroes redux is good, I'll watch it on replay.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Never seen Heroes, but back when the show was on I was working as a waiter, and at least a couple times EVERY day I worked, somebody would look strangely at me for a minute and then exclaim "You look like that guy from Heroes! Matt Parkman!" Apparently I look a lot like Greg Grunberg. It's stopped awhile back though, but even when out and about strangers would come up to me asking if I was "that guy from Heroes".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.