What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Narc dvd thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
IGN DVD weighs in

This website has their review up of the disc, but its temporarily only available to subscribers. I would expect dvdfile to have their review up soon as well. I've been eagerly waiting this release since I caught the film in January, so Tuesday can't come fast enough!

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
The IGN review mentions a lot about this being the 1st edition single-disc release...is there a 2-disc planned?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
If half as good as 'Blood, Guts, Bullets and Octane', I'll be happy. I really liked Carnahan's style in that one.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Rented this last night and was completely blown away by it.
The ending was nerve wrecking and Liotta put in a tour de force like in no other movie.

You have to see this gem ...

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I enjoyed this a lot when I was watching it in theaters, but afterwards I really thought it didn't make any sense.
If Ray Liotta was lying about what happened the entire time, and he was trying to frame those guys at the end, why did he argue when they arrested someone else for the crime? Liotta kept screaming that they guy was innocent and they couldn't prosecute him, and then later on you find out he's the bad guy. Why not frame the first guy instead of the other guys later? If it's good enough for the DA, why isn't it good enough for him?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I would rent first because of the potential plot-hole problem. Otherwise, an excellent and VERY intense movie (some things in there that get to you, and not necessarily in a good way).

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
My friend just told me that it is kind of like Trainig Day only better and more intense and less of the Hollywood big budget influence. And I loved Training Day so I am sure I would like this more. I am buying! It's only $15.99 of my hard earned money.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I prefer Training Day because the movie is like a modern telling of the Inferno. I have rarely seen a movie that just made me believe in the situation and the peril of the character. The entire movie I'm watching Ethan Hawke thinking "Get out, man, get out." Instead, it's like hell ... once you're in, you're in, and the only way out is down.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I was confused at first, but I watched it again and it now makes sense...

Oak (Liotta) blamed the two guys in the tunnel for the suicide of his partner, as he saw them as part of the the reason his partner had become a junkie, which eventually led to his suicide. The other guy they were gonna prosecute Oak didn't even know, whereas Oak did know the guys fom the tunnel, so they became the target of his vengeance. Oak was obsessed with paying back the men he felt had led his partner down the path to suicide, a suicide that had destroyed what little Oak had left in life to cherish (his partner's family, namely his partner's wife, who Oak had taken care of since she had been a young girl). Oak was just hellbent on getting some kind of retribution for his partner's suicide. Unfortunately Tellis thought that it was Oak who had killed his own partner. He didn't learn that Oak's partner had actually committed suicide until it was too late.

Once you watch over the main points again, it will click with you. I am assuming Carnahan meant for us to take Oak's confession to Tellis at the end as truth.

On a side note, why did Paramount release a full screen edition of this? Is there even a profitable braindead Joe 6 Pack market for this type of film?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Nick ... Right on on the analysis. My thoughts exactly.

Amazing piece of filmmaking ... and the documentaries on the DVD are actually good as well.

I rented it, but will make this a purchase.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
rent first,

but there is no plot hole.
it was an obvious ploy to throw the scent which is not a new device.

you want a new recommendation - watch Tom Twyker's HEAVEN!

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I enjoyed the featurettes too. I liked the film for what it was, very retro and gritty - something I can see myself watching again and again in the future. Very acceptable A/V presentation too.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I had missed it in the theater (though it did have a week run at our nifty Podunk, KS single screen art house), but rented it the day it came out. Just the first 2 minutes are so harsh that you are hooked till the end.

I enjoyed the Friedkin featurette, as the parallels between Popeye Doyle's obsession beyond the point of reason is really mirrored in Oak and Tellis.

I enjoyed Training Day, but Narc just rings more true to me.
Narc has no villains or heroes, no black or white, they are all just very damaged shades of gray. At one point you think there is a villain, but he turns out to be the most tragic fallen hero in the film. With Training Day, Washington was a flat out villain with no redeeming or even human qualities whatsoever. The performance was amazing, buit the character wasn't exactly multi-layered like the ones in Narc.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
As much as I liked TRAINING DAY, it did not make me want to watch it again as much as NARC.

Was I the only one thinking, RESERVOIR DOGS, in the end warehouse sequence?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks