What's new

Directors Name Those Movies - A Different Type of Screen Shot Contest (2 Viewers)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
:frowning:

nevermind, my question was answered after I just checked the other screen shot thread. I guess I'm pretty naive especially since there's no freakin prize or award at the end of these things. Go figure.

This just makes this whole thing ultimately pointless, not to mention sapping all the fun out of it.

Oh well, I think I've lost interest already :thumbsdown: Too bad as this really seemed interesting.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't go away Jim. That won't work in this one I assure you.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I still don't get how people used Google for the screenshot contest... I tried using Google for only one round, but still I had no luck getting the answer...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Anyone can type a few words on their computer. No skill required.
You'd be surprised how often it provides absolutely no help at all. There really isn't a "Type in a description of a screenshot and we'll name the movie" website out there. I posted a listing of the films that I only named through research in the previous contest thread. Generally the images in the screenshot have to be quite distinctive to produce a meaningful result. This method neither makes "the whole thing pointless", nor does it "sap all the fun out of it". In fact, I happen to spend more time on fan dedicated websites to films that I haven't seen than most actual fans of the films. If one of the unspoken benefits of these contests is to introduce forum members to films that they haven't seen, then I'm getting the full fan treatment. I'm still not watching Gummo, though. :D

So unless John specifically requests that I not participate in his contest, I'm going to do it again. I'm also going to use IMDB to look through the filmographies of actors that I recognize in his shots. I'll also pop in some DVDs to check if the image matches what I'm seeing in the screenshot (or if John has manipulated it). You can all point at me and tell your children about the bad, bad man who cheats, but it's ultimately a difference of opinion that I hope I've explained clearly in this post. I'll just ask that everyone else who has used similar methods to own up to them as well.

So it's up to you, John.

Brad

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
First of all I hope my comments weren't taken as an attack on anyone, especially Brad if he was the only offender.

I jumped in the other contest rather late & I missed the whole Google debate (if there was one). I honestly thought the Google jabs were just a joke until I read the last page on the other thread.

From my point of view it's just not fun knowing your playing against a stacked deck is all.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Brad,

I'm uncertain as to who, if anyone in particular, those comments were directed. ( Perhaps some of them are directed me, perhaps not. I was trying to inject a little levity with some of my comments to Brian, but whatever. ) I rescinded my last post, but since you quoted part of that post, I'll offer up these comments...

I thought that the screen capture for Opera was a good example of a Google search since the second image was so distinctive. I have viewed this film on DVD by the way; as part of my exploration of Argento's films on DVD.

I haven't viewed all of the films for which I've supplied answers in past contests. Example: the first capture for Titus in John Rice's initial contest was very reminiscent of the DVD cover, which is why a lot of people got that title correct. I have since viewed, and enjoyed Titus but at the time the cover was my only exposure to the film.

If the individual running any of these contests wishes to place conditions on the participants, on the 'honor system' as it were, then I am fine with that.

Finally; I won't comment explicitly on some of the other posts in this thread as that would be hypocritical; but suffice to say I find it ironic that some of the comments regarding 'standards of behaviour' approach, in my mind, a violation of forum policy regarding personal attacks. Regardless, I have no problems with anyone in this thread; I simply don't believe those types of comments have a place on the HTF.

Cheers,
Walter...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I joke about it. but for the record I really did not care if people used google or not, In fact many of the guesses I received during the contest I held, people would mention that it was a google search.

Half the fun is trying to find misleading shots that will make this tough on people, and occasionally I would intentionally select shots that would have some kind of clue in them for the people who have not seen the film. One example was a shot from Roma in which there was a street sign that had the word Roma on it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
We already have one winner. Andrew_Sch.....for having the most shit at the bottom of his emails.
Please tell me you did not just refer to the words of General George Smith Patton, Jr. as "shit." That being excepted, my e-mail signature is probably a little excessive.

P.S. I'm not really offended, but I wouldn't reccomend insulting Patton. He'll be back one of these days.;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brad,

My comments were not directed at anyone in particular. I was just expressing an opinion. Anyone can use whatever methods they wish to, except I do request the participants don't help each other. That is really no different than discussing the active shot in the thread, except it is even less sporting.

The only actual problem I have had was with one participant who described all the searching he did to find the answers and then, in a later contest, claimed to not even check imdb for AR.

Anyway, why don't we let this issue drop? It's already spoiling the contest and we're only on the first shot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And Andrew, my buddy. I didn't mean "shit" as in something worthless. I meant it as in "there's a boat load of stuff at the bottom of your emails....."

:p)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Will we find out the answers to this round tomorrow night? Is it alright if I accidentally used my friend's e-mail address instead of my own when I sent it? I was using their computer and whatever the program is took me to their account even after I logged on.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ray, you can use whatever email account you want. Just make sure you put your HTF username in the subject line (Brook K & Jim_K) and you have a much better chance of getting points if you actually list some movies in the body of the email (Wes C).

And yes, we will find out the answers Monday night, sometime, as well as get a new image.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
This sounds like fun, and once again I could care less about scores... just a test of what my own brain rememebers :)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I got a question for both Chris and John... The webspace that you use ot host your images... is it free, or do you guys pay for the webspace? If it is free, where did you get it form?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks