What's new

My SVS CS is #175, is it an old driver? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
So as it says, mine is #175 (3-21-01). I looked down the port with a flashlight and the top is sorta chrome looking like the new driver but the basket part doesnt look like the new one.
About when did the new driver come in?
I'm very excited about the prospects of this cheaper upgrade as I can't afford the cost or space of dual subs and selling old/buying the new CS+ would be tricky. I also have the samson s700 so not quite as much power available as the s1000.
TPM thx trailer can easily bottom the current driver at the levels I like to listen at :) so extra headroom is greatly appreciated.
I do think that I'll keep the old driver though to make a little sub for my PC system. This is something other upgraders should consider rather than just sending it back for the credit.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
i'm pretty sure you have the old one - if you read the thread on the new driver carefully, you'll see that it started shipping in mid december 2001. yours is waaaaay before that...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Tom and Ron mentioned to me that tere have been a series of "minor" improvements in the PC/CS driver during its lifetime - maybe 5 or 6 steps. So it is quite possible that some models had a bit of a chrome finish on them. However, with this latest model, the "sub-humans" felt that the improvement was so substantial (see the specs in the other thread) that it warranted letting us bleeding edgers in on the fun!
Like they said, many companies cut costs by replacing parts with less expensive ones that also don't perform as well. It's refreshing to see that SVS bucks this trend. The consumer benefits.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
We have the serial number for each model as we switched. We'll post them on the website when we activate the *upgrade* page.

Anything before 12-17-01 on the bottom of the baseplate is *old* though.

TV

Ned

Supporting Actor
Tom-

So roughly what improvement in performance will I see?

Also with the newer driver, could I run the Samson S700 bridged so it has more power available? The specs only mention an 8ohm rating for bridged (unstable bridged into 4?)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The improvements will be dependent on the levels you are pushing the SVS to now. The new driver has more motor strength,more linear travel and is able to sustain performance under harsh conditions better. If you don't push the current SVS hard,then the improvements may be very subtle and not worth the upgrade to you. If the SV is pushed near it's performance limits in your system on a regular basis...the new driver will have the ability to play a bit louder,and a bit cleaner...esp toward the bottom end.

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks