What's new

My problem with the Wizard of Oz (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

If I remember the book correctly, the Wizard made a long confession before the four sojurners. He said that when he arrived in Oz, he discovered that the four witches had REAL magical powers which frightened the stuff out of him. He made up his own wizard mythos as a means of self-defense. Since Dorothy had bumped off one of the wicked witches, he figured maybe she had the right stuff to bump off the other one - obviously he didn't. This discussion was apparently too wordy to fit into the film version.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ah yes the book is now public domain...

This is analogous to Saddam Hussein pretending to have WMD even when he didn't in order to intimidate his neighbors, who could otherwise have come swarming accross the border and hung him from a convenient lamppost. The problem with bluffing is when someone calls your bluff....you tend to get seriously in trouble at that time.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My beef is with Lord of the Rings.....

If the eagles could carry Frodo around the countryside at will, why didn't he just mount one up in Rivendell and fly straight to Mt. Doom? He could have tossed the ring in from a thousand feet and been home in time for dinner.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Exactly. Have a look:

Sam: "That was incredibly easy."
Gandalf: "Yes. Yes, it was."
Frodo: "Can you imagine what it would have been like if we had walked the entire way?"
All: "(Laughter)"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Way off topic, but the people who did that Lord of the Rings parody did a Superman one that is linked on the LOTR video's YouTube page. From the voice of Superman, I think these people might have done the parody video about Superman throwing his shield at Non. Does anyone have a link to that one? I can't seem to find it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's the one that was with the LOTR video, and it's pretty cool. Watch the Star Wars one, too!

I'm an idiot, though, and was thinking of the Family Guy parody of the shield throw.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If were are talking about any actor from any time then I'll stick with:

Ziyi Zhang as Dorothy...I mean we're talking about Dorothy whooping up on the Wiz for being a dick.

Fairuza Balk as The Wicked Witch of the West....just seems appropriate.

Steve Zahn or Jerry Lewis as Flying Monkey(s)...dito.

And:
Curly Howard as The Cowardly Lion...just want to see that.

Bruce Lee as The Scarecrow.....him thumbing his nose just before he butterfly kicks the Wiz upside his head I want to see.

Samuel L. Jackson as the Tin Man seems to be a fave...and him saying something like "Yes you are a lying Mother****er and I hope you burn in hell!" sounds great....but pop consensuses won't stop me from looking at other alternatives, for example I also think A Clockwork Orange era Malcolm McDowell would also be cool...."It was me..that is Tinny..and my three droogs..that is Fuzzy, Stitches and the young Devochka."

Rutger Hauer as The Wizard...."I..want..that..Broom......F***er!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More from Samuel L. Jackson as The Tin Man: "That's right, Dorothy. You and that motherf***king dog are not in motherf***ing Kansas anymore."

WHY does this have me laughing out loud in front of my computer?!? Repressed aggression, perhaps?! :D

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I was thinking for Dorothy, keep her young and naive, think Elle from Legally Blonde, mixed in with a little Jan Brady.

Bring in Wanda Sykes as the wicked witch, Samuel L. Jackson as the Tin Man, and James Gandolfini as the Lion....and Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow.

Only, Michael Jackson would be the one reprising his role from The Wiz, songs and all.

It would be freakin' hoolarious!

Tin Man: "Every time we try to walk down this Motherf***ing Yellow brick road, this Motherf***ing bag of sh*t has got to carry on singing his Motherf***ing song...Ease on down, Ease on down, Ease on the road.
Let me shove my Shiny Tin Boot up your scrawny, Straw-filled Motherf***ing ass and we'll see how far you get Easin' down the road!"

This is TOO much fun!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

Makes you see how easy the internet buzz for Snakes on a Plane got started! :D

Tin Man: Oilcan.
Dorothy: Did you say something?
Tin Man: Mmmmmm-f***ing oilcan.
Dorothy: He said oilcan.
Scarecrow: Oil can what?
Dorothy: No. I believe he said Motherf***ing oilcan.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
...because it was a dream/fantasy of Dorthy's.

Any and all problems with the film are null and void because it was Ms. Gale's imagination. ;)

Hey, I'm not going to down-play my FAVORITE movie of all time! Heh.

Ry

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Here's a couple of gripes about It's a Wonderful Life?
The real moral of the movie should be, never stop to gloat when you're carrying $8000 in cash!!!!
Or,
George: "I'm gonna shake the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna SEE THE WORLD!"

Mary: You know those wonderful dreams you just told me about...the skyscrapers, the bridges? This little rock says you're never going to have any of that.
Doesn't keep me from watching it a couple of times a year, though.:)

SNL did a great parody of It's A Wonderful Life in the Phil Hartman days where Uncle billy (Phil) finally remembers what happened to the $8000. He and George (Dana Carvey, who else?) and the rest of the town rush to Mr. Potter (Jon Lovitz) and beat the crap out of him. Priceless.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
An interesting paper called "The Parable on Populism" was written describing hidden meanings found in the original Wizard of Oz novel. Here's a copy of the original and here's another article discussing the parallels. It would explain the original poster's question. However, it should be pointed out that there is no definitive proof that Baum intended these parallels (but it does make for interesting scholarly discussion).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks