What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

My November Movie Marathon: Classic Comedy Greats (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I91281520448959AFf.jpg
Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
DVDLogo.png
Mill Creek Entertainment, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: David Lowell Rich
Writing: Raphael Hayes (Writer)
Length: 76 min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:
Stars:

The Three StoogesMoe Howard as Moe
Larry Fine as Larry
Joe DeRita as Curly-Joe

Plot:
When the Stooges accidently blast off to Venus, they encounter an alien computer who creates evil duplicates of them.

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:

Not to bad for their first feature length film. I even enjoyed Curly-Joe more then I thought I would. He really does remind me a lot of Curly. The film has a few chuckles in it and a decent story line. I would say an average film... maybe slightly above.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I6E25DE6B132FAB18f.jpg
The Bank Dick (1940/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
DVDLogo.png
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: Eddie Cline [Edward Cline]
Writing: W. C. Fields [Mahatma Kane Jeeves] (Screenwriter)
Length: 72 min.
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Stars:
W. C. Fields as Egbert Sousé
Cora Witherspoon as Agatha Sousé
Una Merkel as Myrtle Sousé
Evelyn Del Rio as Elsie Mae Adele Brunch Sousé
Jessie Ralph as Mrs. Hermisillo Brunch

Plot:
Dividing his time between the Black Pussy Cafe and his dreaded family, lowly bank guard Egbert Souse (W.C. Fields) suddenly finds fate leading him to heroism, Hollywood and the good life.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

My first viewing of W.C. Fields. I must admit I was expecting a little more from it. Especially since I heard this was one of his better ones. Yes, I did get a few chuckles here and there. And I can see how the character he created became as likable as he did. I don't know... maybe I went in with too high of expectations. I would say worth the time put in to watch it but nothing spectacular.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
IC8482ACC0E6A201Ef.jpg
Duck Soup (1933/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
DVDLogo.png
Director: Leo McCarey
Writing: Bert Kalmar (Story By), Harry Ruby (Story By)
Length: 69 min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Stars:
Groucho Marx as Rufus T. Firefly
Harpo Marx as Pinky
Chico Marx as Chicolini
Zeppo Marx as Bob Roland
Margaret Dumont as Mrs. Teasdale

Plot:
This sharp political satire is considered by fans and critics alike to be the Marx Brothers' greatest movie. Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo do their best to defend Mrs. Teaside (Margaret Dumont) and Freedonia's honor. Contains the timeless and unforgettable mirror sequence, the hysterical peanut stand scene, and a climactic battle that is not to be missed.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Now these guys are more like it. Their style and antics fits my tastes well. I like their rapid fire humor. I also like how they have a mixed of both slapstick and you have no idea what will come out of their mouths at any time. Well except Harpo... you have a pretty good idea what will come out of his mouth. Definitely a fun film I would recommend. I can't wait to see the rest in the collection.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
hqdefault.jpg

The Three Stooges: Horses' Collars
The Stooges are detectives in the Old West. They have been sent out to recover an IOU from Double Deal Decker (Fred Kohler), a ruthless killer who plans to take possession of a ranch that is rightfully owned by Nell (Dorothy Kent).

My Thoughts:
This one is pretty good. I liked the setting for the story. And the gimmick with Curly and the mouse was fun.

My Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
085393765125f.jpg
Modern Times: The Chaplin Collection (1936/United States)
DVDLogo.png
(United States)
Director: Charles Chaplin [Charlie Chaplin]
Writing: Charles Chaplin [Charlie Chaplin] (Writer)
Length: 83 min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Other
Stars:
Charles Chaplin [Charlie Chaplin] as A factory worker
Paulette Goddard as A gamin
Henry Bergman as Cafe propietor
Tiny Sandford [Stanley Sandford] as Big Bill and worker
Chester Conklin as Mechanic

Plot:
Man vs. machine! And the winner is every comedy fan when Charlie Chaplin's Tramp confronts assembly line woes in this classic chosen in 1998 as one of the American Film Institute's Top-100 American Films.

The Little Tramp punches in and wigs out inside a factory where gizmos like an employee-feeding machine may someday make the lunch hour last just 15 minutes. Bounced into the ranks of the umemployed, he teams with a street waif (Paulette Goddard) to pursue bliss and a paycheck, finding misadventures as a roller-skating night watchman, a singing waiter whose hilarious song is gibberish, a jailbird and more. In the end, as Tramp and waif walk arm and arm into an insecure future, we know they've found neither bliss nor a paycheck but, more importantly, each other. The times and satire remain timeless in 'Modern Times'.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I was really looking forward to checking out some Charlie Chaplin. And this one was very good. I liked the mixture of silent and non-silent filming. There was several spots I found myself literally laughing out loud. This is definitely one I would recommend.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
restless-knights-three-stooges-300x228.png

The Three Stooges: Restless Knights
Set in Medieval times, the stooges learn they are of royal blood and vow to save the kingdom.

My Thoughts:
This one I found to be pretty average. The setting was only ok with this one... and found that the mixture of old English and modern to be a bit distracting.

My Rating:
stars_30_4.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
latest

The Three Stooges: Pop Goes the Easle
The stooges are down and out. With a cop chasing them, they flee into an artists studio where they are mistaken for students.

My Thoughts:
This one is a fun one. Especially liked the way they decided to end it.

My Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
025192422720f.jpg
Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town (1950/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Universal Studios Home Video (United States)
Director: Charles Lamont
Writing: Martin Ragaway (Story By), Leonard Stern (Story By), Martin Ragaway (Screenwriter), Leonard Stern (Screenwriter)
Length: 79 min.
Stars:
Marjorie Main as Ma Kettle
Percy Kilbride as Pa Kettle
Richard Long (1927) as Tom Kettle
Meg Randall as Kim Kettle
Gregg Martell as Louie

Plot:
When Pa wins a jingle-writing contest, he and Ma head for New York City. They they get in trouble with gangsters when they lose some stolen money which they had already agreed to deliver to one of the thugs.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This one, while entertaining, didn't impress me as much as the previous two. I don't think I cared for splitting up the time. Having someone watch the kids while they were in New York. I personally think it would have been more fun to see the kids running around New York. Though what they did with the story line wasn't bad either. I just think it could have been better.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
097360640649f.jpg
The Disorderly Orderly (1964/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: Frank Tashlin
Writing: Frank Tashlin (Screenwriter), Norm Liebmann (Story By), Ed Haas (Story By)
Length: 89 min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Stars:
Jerry Lewis as Jerome Littlefield
Glenda Farrell as Dr. Jean Howard
Everett Sloane as Mr. Tuffington
Karen Sharpe as Julie Blair
Kathleen Freeman as Nurse Higgins

Plot:
Poor Jerome Littlefield (Jerry Lewis). He wants to be a doctor – but that's not exactly the perfect career choice when you're hopelessly squeamish. So he settles for the job of orderly at the Whitestone Sanitarium, a career move that's guaranteed to keep the patients – and viewers – in stitches! The fun begins with Sammy Davis, Jr.'s rendition of the film's title song and continues as the bumbling Jerome, a one-man disaster area, triggers chaos every time he tries to lend a helping hand. From causing the patients more trauma to a high-speed ambulance chase, Lewis and his healthy dose of comic mishaps are the perfect prescription for all that ails you.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I used to like Jerry Lewis a lot when I was younger. While I still found this to be an enjoyable movie... I think my tastes has matured some. But going by this film at least, while I can still enjoy his films, they don't seem to hold up to my childhood memories.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
2c461fd7e4e335fdafc5d847961166a4.jpg

The Three Stooges: Uncivil Warriors
Set in the civil war, the stooges are spies for the north. They impersonate southern officers and infiltrate the enemy ranks to get valuable information.

My Thoughts:
A fun short. I especially liked the scene about with the cake. I also liked the civil war setting for this one.

My Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
hqdefault.jpg

The Three Stooges: Pardon My Scotch
The stooges are running the local drugstore and mix up a potion that a desperate businessman decides to sell as scotch.

My Thoughts:
Not bad... but nothing really special on this one. They have definitely done better shorts.

My Rating:
stars_30_4.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
48502cced27173ba8d419c3582d085a0--the-three-stooges-the-studio.jpg

The Three Stooges: Hoi Polloi
A professor plays Pygmalion to three bumbling garbagemen and tries to turn them into gentlemen.

My Thoughts:
This one started out kinda average. But it has a strong finish. If you stick with it, it is a fun short.

My Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
hqdefault.jpg

The Three Stooges: Three Little Beers
The stooges are inept deliverymen at a brewery. When they learn about a company golf tournament, they sneak onto a golf course to get some practice.

My Thoughts:
The three stooges playing golf? I got a few good laughs out of this one.

My Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
tumblr_n5sfkwlOQL1qbcfcko1_500.jpg

All Aboard
A father spirits his daughter away from suitors until one stows away on their boat.

My Thoughts:
This is the first thing I ever seen with Harold Lloyd. Not bad. I wish they could have cleaned it up some more. But to be fair the film is 100 years old. I like how on these silent era shorts a lot can be understood with little use of words.

My Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
VVJ4TMIU0V6G58A01f.jpg
Hold That Ghost (1941/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Director: Arthur Lubin
Writing: Robert Lees (Screenwriter), Fred Rinaldo (Screenwriter), John Grant (Screenwriter), Robert Lees (Story By), Fred Rinaldo (Story By)
Length: 86 min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Stars:
Bud Abbott as Chuck Murray
Lou Costello as Ferdinand Jones
Richard Carlson as Doctor Jackson
Joan Davis as Camille Brewster
Mischa Auer as Gregory

Plot:
The boys accidentally inherit a "haunted" house where a gangster stashed his loot.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

I have been a fan of Abbott and Costello for years, but there is many of there films I never seen before. This is one of them. One thing I have to say is no one does scared like Lou Costello. This one is a lot of fun with many laugh out loud moments. I would say a definite must see for any Abbott and Costello fan.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
IEB866AD4E33DAE20f.jpg
Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Writing: D. D. Beauchamp (Screenwriter), John Grant (Screenwriter), Howard Christie (Story By), D. D. Beauchamp (Story By)
Length: 77 min.
Stars:
Bud Abbott as Lester
Lou Costello as Orville
Mari Blanchard as Allura
Robert Paige as Dr. Wilson
Horace McMahon as Mugsy

Plot:
The boys accidentally take off for Mars and end up in New Orleans during Mardi Gras!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

First time seeing this one. While it was enjoyable, it is far from their best work. It was funny to see some of the thoughts they had about space travel back in the day. Worth the time put in to watch it... but don't expect too much.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I6277F855D975E9C8f.jpg
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955/United States)
BluRayLogo.png
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Writing: John Grant (Screenwriter), Lee Loeb (Story By)
Length: 79 min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono
Subtitles: Danish, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
Stars:
Bud Abbott as Pete Patterson
Lou Costello as Freddie Franklin
Marie Windsor as Madame Rontru
Michael Ansara as Charlie
Dan Seymour as Josef

Plot:
Stranded in Egypt, Bud and Lou get mixed up with crooks and find themselves in the buried tomb of the living mummy, Klaris.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Another very good film. It is hard to go wrong with Abbott and Costello. And I definitely like when they have to deal with the classic Universal monsters. It makes for fun films, at least going by the couple I seen so far.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
hqdefault.jpg

The Three Stooges: Ants in the Pantry
You can't run an exterminator business if there are no pests, but Larry, Moe and Curly can fix that. They infest a nearby mansion and turn up just in time to take care of business, using whatever means necessary to rid the home of its unwanted guests.

My Thoughts:
This is another short that is just average through most of it and then ends with a good laugh. I liked the plot idea. I am really getting a kick out of watching these DVDs as I am seeing many I don't remember ever seeing before.

My Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Don't that just figure... go to watch the next Ma & Pa Kettle film to realize they are not in the sets in order. :huh:
Hi Pete!

I'm a little late to the party, but the not so merry mix up with the titles on the original Ma & Pa Kettle flipper discs was fixed for the single sided reissues. For me, it was well worth the $10 or so to repurchase the entire set, but I sure wish spending the $50 or so for the 2 volumes, and especially the $40 plus to get the DVD "exclusive" with the last two Kettles films (made after Percy Kilbride left the series!) via Movies Unlimited could have been avoided! :blink:

Anyway, happy comedy classics viewing!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks