What's new

My new dream bike (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Link Removed
My custom made Ti Seven, handmade in Watertown, Massachusetts. Proudly 100% perfect American craftsmanship. Shimano Dura Ace gruppo except for a Chris King headset, Seven's own carbon seatpost and stem, and an Advanced Composites Wound Up carbon fork riding on Zipp 404 wheels and a Sella Italia Flite Ti gel seat.
Doing my share to support the American craftspeople and the economy!
On some bad news, Schwinn/GT went officially under the other day, being bought out by a department store brand Pacific
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jay

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Congrats Jay! Awesome bike, I'm sure you'll love it.
That sure is a unique junction at the head tube.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Nice bike. Mine are totally Retro; 1980's Austro-Daimler Superlight (531) with old black Campy Gruppo.Fiame red label tubulars (Continentals) although I have switched to Look pedals. Another is a Trek criterium frame similarly equiped.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
where's the engine?
too much work peddling my fat ass around :)
very nice bike however.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jim F, are you talking about the headtube extension? Rather than using spacers, the headtube extension is stronger and stiffer on the steerer tube. This is my first threadless 1 1/8" road frame that I've had, my other bike is your traditional threaded fork.
I spec'ed the frame geometry to be mostly for touring with some fun races that I do, I'll probably wont be using those Zipps as my full-time wheels but I'm waiting for some new tires to put on my spare Mavic Open Pros so for now, the Zipps are on there..
Here's my knobbies, FWIW:
Link Removed
Steve, cool, got pictures? The owner of the shop I dealt with had a 16 year old lugged steel Ciocc. Very nice....
If that was going to be a pure race bike, I'd go with tubulars, but it's too much a pain to deal with glueing on a regular basis for me...
Jay

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Sorry no pic yet,next mavica in for repair I'll take some. The bike is polished nickel. I'll have to paint it eventually. I bought it from an insurance company that recovered it after a bike shop theft. When I stripped the frame to paint it I found it completely plated so I bought jewelers rouge and polished it out. I never thought it would last without pitting, just starting to deteriorate now, ridden year round for 15 years.
I ride on my break at work so being able to change a flat in 2 minutes is important. Plus the ride is great on tubulars. I worked through college in a bike shop and raced for 10 years so I can do my own wheels and maintenance.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I was referring to the way the head, top, and down tubes join at a single junction. It's distinctive, even if it's simply a requirement of frame size.
My own stable is quite nice, but not so exotic:
'94 Litespeed Ultimate (I like the design better than the newer ones)/DA
'94 Basso Loto (Columbus SLX)/DA
'94 Breezer Lightning/LX
'97 Ibis Easystreet road tandem, upgraded to XTR
'98 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/DA foldable
'93 Trek 520/DX tourer

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Do you really ride with your saddle nose that far down?
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jay ...
Awsome ride! I wanted to get a road bike myself this summer, but the plan never fell through.
I am 6'6" and couldn't find a dealer with a road bike for my size ... to even demo.
The frame you have looks mighty small, like a 47-50cm. What size is it?
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
The Hole

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jim F, I see 1994 was a busy year for you! :) Litespeed is coming out with a ti/CF frame called the Ghisallo (town in Italy, soon to come bike museum). How's that Bike Friday bike, I see them in some bike shops around here and I'm always thinking how cool that must be for folding bikes. Have you seen S&S couplers? It's an another custom option on many bikes and you can have any steel/ti bike retrofitted for them.. I think their website is
http://www.sandsmachine.com I wind up buying it too cause it was perfect. My 49cm Lemond Zurich with an Ultegra triple setup was sitting in a bike store and I bought it on the spot after going for a long ride. The new bike is completely custom but by the top tube length, it's roughly equivalent to a 50cm since I wanted something a bit longer in the cockpit than my Lemond. You might try to find a good bikeshop near you that sells Serottas (http://www.serotta.com) and just ask them to size you. the device is called a Serotta Size Cycle and is adjustable for size. Sometimes bike shops (early in the spring) will be happy to order a bike in a certain size for you, if it's early in the year and they have a shot at selling it if you're not interested. Then you'd be able to demo one, many bikeshops will ask for a deposit just to make sure that you're serious cause the bikeshop can't return it and they would have to sell it if you don't buy, which is why it's probably best to do this early next year cause now it's summer clearence time at the shops.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The Pocket Rocket is really cool. I kept reading glowing reviews and although I didn't really need a travel bike, it fed my gadget jones.
It looks quite odd, and feels twitchy at first, but the riding position is (custom built) identical to my Litespeed, and I forget that it's anything but a normal road bike after about a block. Due to the small wheels, it accelerates like nothing else, but it's also is a little more work to maintain speed.
It came with its own suitcase and breaks down to travel size in about 15 min, then I can check it like regular luggage at no extra charge. It can also be instantly folded to fit in a large bag to be carried or stowed in a tent or whatever.
I've seen the bikes with couplers. I understand that they're especially nice for tandems.
[Edited last by Jim_F on September 24, 2001 at 10:07 AM]

Jin E

Second Unit
Unique Junction? Try this...
Goes on the road... in the dirt... in the office... anywhere you can think of this baby will roll...
wheeler.jpg

------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
GREAT bike.
I love it when people have their dream objects come true.
Hopefully my Dream will come true and I will get FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 7 UNCUT and RE-MASTERED on DVD.
Hope you have fun Jay
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Ricky, I'm sure you know that the first Friday the 13th was filmed not far from where I live in Obscuria? It was filmed in Blairstown, NJ (about 45 minutes from me) at an old Camp NoBeBoSco... There's a real nice rail-to-trail there that I've ridden on (Paulinskill Railtrail) and it goes right past the Blairstown airport. Only later did I hear that the movie was filmed around there.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Nice ride man! Hope it works out as well for you as my custom speedskates! I'm dialed in and ready for my big 86 mile race in 2 weeks. Good equipment is a huge part of this.
Andrej
------------------

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If any of those bikes had some sort of generator I'd be in. I just find that riding KILLS my ass.
LL cool B

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
My best friend's fiance owns a bicycle repair shop and he is going to make me a custom built, adult sized Stingray complete with Banana seat and Sissy Bar!
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks