What's new

My iPhone 3GS has shipped! (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

In talking with our AT&T rep, it seems that people that spent the most on their monthly service (READ...max minutes, max SMS plan, the occasional international voice and data roaming plans) will be eligible first...the so-called July, August and September group. If you "cheaped out" (like anyone can call $75/month cheap) on just data and a minimum voice plan...you are going to be waiting longer for eligibility.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am out of town and had very little time to spend reading the
AT&T/APPLE discount bulletin which is why I was dependent on
you guys helping with the research.

I bought the iPhone 3G last year the day it came out.

Am I eligible for the new discount?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ron, on your phone dial *639# and press the Call button. You should get a text message back telling you when your eligibility date is. I think AT&T's systems are swamped though...I know only one person that has actually gotten an actual date back so far. The rest of the people that have tried have gotten messages that the information is currently unavailable. It may be better to try later tonight.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If there's something I've learned, it's that there is great inconsistency in the way consumer problems are handled. Elsewhere in the forum I'd posted that I am having difficulty with my MBP battery, and people posted that Apple had replaced theirs as faulty. Not so with me.

So while it's great that the people you know had their iPhones replaced at the subsidized price, I'm taking it with a great grain of salt and not assuming that it will be extended to me should I have a mishap with my iPhone.

That said, I'm probably not going to buy the Best Buy warranty and will instead encase the phone in a protective case and treat it like brittle glass ;).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, I was sweating bullets for awhile there, but I finally got my shipping notice for my 3GS. Seems like there are two groups - the folks who had theirs shipped from China a few days ago, and people like me who had theirs overnighted from a US location (Memphis, in my case) today. I'm guessing Apple had a certain quantity pre-staged to the US.

I wonder what determined which shipping group you ended up in?? When you ordered (I got in about 4 PM CDT on announce day)?? Color (mine is black)?? Anybody else have an idea??

Ron, Sam - you guys really should contact Apple and see if you can get your overnight shipping fees refunded. The deal was delivery on the 19th for no extra charge. I paid no shipping myself, and I'll be enjoying my 3GS tomorrow along with everybody else!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

Been trying that call code and unfortunately, as you predicted,
the service has been continually busy so I can't figure out if I
am eligible for an upgrade. I would guess I am not since I have
just the basic data plan.

Craig,

Like Sam, I also received an email from Apple saying the $16 overnight
shipping fee would be refunded. Don't know why they even made it an
option and I wasted a lot of time calling multiple reps on the day of
ordering trying to get an answer on whether I should have used the
overnight option or not. In any event, glad to see it worked out.

Patiently waiting the arrival of my iPhone. Hopefully it comes this
morning. Have not checked to see where it shipped from but I do
believe it was a U.S. location (if that helps).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Update: Looked at my tracking receipt and the
iPhone was shipped from SHENZHEN, CN. Looks like it will arrive
sometime today. Hopefully this morning.

andis01

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Buble
It make me want to buy a iphone, but..., I must have to wait until next month....

Shane D

Supporting Actor
man i hope ups isn't giving phone shippers priority. My new mini hit the mid west distribution center at earth city at noon yesterday and no word yet if its made it to my town to be out for delivery.. GRRR.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ron gets bragging rights today... Mine's on the truck, Fed Ex usually makes it around here between 10-11, so should be soon.

Glad you guys got your overnight fees back. Good customer service from Apple.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm pretty dead in the water. Finally got my iPhone around 5PM at Best Buy, they did what they needed to do. My old Blackberry was deactivated (now says SIM card rejected) but still no service on my new iPhone. It is 6:40PM now, and I was told it should be "about an hour" for the iPhone to be ready.

I told him I'd read on the web that it was taking up to 48 hours, and the rep said that was for new activations. Since mine was an existing account upgrade, it shouldn't take that long. I'm going to allow for another hour before going in to a local AT&T store to ask what the heck is going on.

Meanwhile, I've gotten my IMAP mail set up, and my wireless router at home set up, so I can at least browse the web and check email while I'm sitting here in my apartment. Like I couldn't do it from my computer, but hey, small victories, right? :D

Anyone else who did an upgrade (and not a new activation) getting long times to switch over to your new iPhone? I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

EDIT

Never mind. Did a hard reset and the phone activated itself. They should tell you to do that. No idea how long the phone's been able to be actived...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks