What's new

My Bodyguard (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Picked this up used yesterday for 9 bucks.
[url=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005RT3L.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg] [/url]

DVD came out earlier this year in March. Both widescreen and shake'n bake versions available, nice 5.1 soundtrack. I love Dave Grusin's score. Not much in the way of extras except for a trailer and lots of TV spots, which are all pretty much the same. Matt Dillon is a complete dick in this movie! You really want to see this guy get his ass kicked. Great film from 1980. It speaks to anyone who ever felt bullied as a child. I'd seen it a bunch of times while growing up so as soon as I saw it I snatched it up.

Pete L

Agent
I totally agree. This remains one of my favorites--it's so evocative of the whole adolescent/Junior High experience. It was also the first film or nearly the first film for a number of actors: Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Beals, Joan Cusack.

I've heard it said that the whole sub-story of the boy's homelife at the hotel seems grafted on and unneccesary. I guess it does feel a bit like sitcom material, but Ruth Gordon is a hoot and steals every scene she's in.

I snatched this baby up as soon as it was released.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have very fond memories of this film when I was a "yoot". It was one of those honest to goodness sleeper hits that was so much better in actuality than it sounded in anybody's description of it.

Regards,

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
This movie came out during my "awkward" years, when I myself was getting picked on daily by the school bully. For that reason alone it's always been one of my favorites. Are there elements of the film that are dated and forced? Yes. However, most of the core pieces of the movie still resonate. Let's face it: most of us were more like "Clifford" in school than like "Moody". (At least I think so!)

Link Removed

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yes.
disc looks very good considering the age and budget of the production.
great movie.

the thing that struck me when i first saw it in my awkward years, the bullies here were actually menacing.
not like the clowns in every made for tv after school special.

of course that was back in 1980.
today they would probably just jump you & slice your throat without any remorse.
but it struck me as pretty accurate for what i saw in school
(or as accurate as you can get in a pg rated movie about high school)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Have had this sitting on the shelf for several months unplayed. I think I need to give it a spin!

dave :)

p.s. one of my faves from the 80's too...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Watched it the first day I got it, which was street date, and once or twice more since then. Still as good as ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks