What's new

Music - Concert DVD's (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball is one of the most enveloping concert DVD's I own. I absolutely adore the 5.1 mix. Maybe turn down your surrounds but having seen sarah MANY times live...this is a pretty accurate representation.
She sounded much better in concert to me. I have to agree with Dan Joy, the 5.1 mix on Mirrorball is pretty poor. It sounds artificial almost like a studio mix rather than a live recording. Noticable echo.

If you want to hear a bit better 5.1 for Sarah, and some other excellent female performances, pick up the Lilith Fair DVD. Shawn Colvin's tracks are great, and Jewel's Near You Always gave me chills. Great stuff in the segues between songs. I'm not a huge Indigo Girls fan, but they were OK too. Also only 4:3.

Diana Krall: Live in Paris is the standard for me. Eagles:HFO is great also.

If you like Trance/Techno, Moby's Play DVD is quite good. There's some live/acoustic stuff, a 90min "mega mix" and pretty much all of the Play videos, as well as some other funky stuff "give an idiot a camera" which is just Moby shooting random stuff.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I really like the Sting - Brand New Day DVD. Excellent quality. Also recommended: Eagles - HFO and Metallica - Cunning Stunts.

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the responses. I will have to check out the Diana Krall disc due to the large number of people recommending it. I also like James Taylor, ELO, and Sting as well. Does anyone know if Jimmy Buffet has a live concert DVD. ( I have the VHS tape, which needs to be retired )

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My favorites have already been mentioned -- Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live in New York City and Diana Krall - Live in Paris. If I had to choose only one, it would be Bruce. The performance is outstanding, the picture quality is the best I've seen for a concert DVD (it's from the HD transfer of the HBO special), and it's over 3.5 hours of concert footage on two discs.

Count me among those who do not care for the 5.1 mix on Mirrorball. There's way too much echo for my taste.

I prefer Sting's ...all this time DVD over his Brand New Day disc. The video is 16x9 anamorphic, and the setting is more intimate.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Metallica - Cunning Stunts
I forgot to mention that one. Very well done.

Also forgot - Nine Inch Nails All That Could Have Been Full bitrate DTS version (DD is also one of the best DD tracks I've heard). Good stuff. Not the greatest video editing, but the music is excellent if you are a fan of them at any level.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I recommend Talking Heads' classic Stop Making Sense. It has 3 different audio mixes, including 2 5.1 mixes ("studio" and "feature film") and a PCM mix. It's in anamorphic widescreen.

It should have you dancing around your living room in short order.

-AM

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
check out the new eric clapton dvd another car another rider[get the 3 disc set...2 cd's 1 dvd it's worth it]the sound and picture quality are outstanding imho

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Watched Diana Krall the other day... holy smokes, picture and sound are definitely reference quality.
I'm also gonna throw in Corrosion of Conformity - Live Volume. 5.1 mix is decent, but it's 4:3 :frowning: If you like the band, it's a must have.
I wish I could say the same thing of Emperor (possibly my favorite band) It's letterboxed (non anamorphic) with a slightly less then 1.85:1 aspect ratio and.... DD 1.0 I just listened in stereo. I mean, 1.0 for a band of this magnitude with one of the best drummers in all of metal or even all of music? Blasphemy!

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I've seen Diana Krall CD's on the shelf, but generally dismissed her as some fabricated pop star or such since they dress her so sexy on the album covers. Since everybody was raving about this DVD, I went ahead and bought it and was very impressed with the DVD and her talent and performance.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
The new Queensryche dvd has a specatular video transfer. Great audio as well. A true-to-form dvd that was put out there with the upmost standards in mind.

"Live Evolution"
1.85:1
Anamorphic

Rob-Gr

Agent
The Eric Clapton Live at Hyde Park is incredible. Eric is really on top of his game and even his songs from average studio albums like August sound fantastic on this dvd. As far as somebody really being on, this is the best you will get, and the sound and video is good too. The James Taylor live at the Beacon is pretty good too, although it could have been better. Once again Clapton is great on 24 nights, although it is not as good as Hyde Park. Stevie Ray Vaughan live at Austin Texas is hot too if you like great guitar playing. The Eagles Hell Freezes over is ok, although there are lots of songs on it I dont know. Other good music dvd are Pink Floyd The Wall the movie and The Beatles Yellow Submarine. The sound on YS is incredible and the video is even better. John Lennon's Give me some truth making of Imagine is a good behind the scenes making of an album dvd.
Rob

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I heard EC was stunning. Haven't seen it yet.

My best are:

Joe Satriani - Live San Francisco (STUNNING! EVERYTHING)
Metallica - S&M
Scorpions - Acoustica (WOW! 12 Cameras)
Motorhead - Boneshaker
Ozzy - Live at Budokan (Another WOW!)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
monterey pop[crirerion collection]i've watched the 1st 2 discs and after doing so i can say this is better than the old laserdisc was[the DTS track is outstanding btw]why can't they make woodstock sound this good?

HarleyMYK

Agent
I just listened to Eagles HFO, and this is truely the way 5.1 should be. Too bad it is not widescreen.
From a historical perspective, I would recommend The Last Waltz. The recording shows its age compared to HFO (it was originally recorded over 25 years ago), but it is widescreen and has some excellent shots. Besides the great cinematography and The Band, there is Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Muddy Watters, Neil Diamond, Paul Butterfield, Ringo Star, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Dr. John (Mac Rebennack), Ronnie (The Hawk) Hawkins, and others!
I had no idea what it took to create this movie until I listened to the additional tracks on the DVD. Listen and you will be amazed at what went into this historic masterpiece.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the Diana Krall Live DVD. I think the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theatre is also a great concert DVD.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i just finished watching the monterey pop dvd set...the tiny tim hunk at the end of disc 3's worth the price on it's own...quite funny imho

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
No mention of Fleetwood Mac's The Dance? I think the audio is excellent but am I missing out on something? Can Diana Krall be that much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks