What's new

Multichannel inputs - More than one? (1 Viewer)

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. Have been *seriously* bitten by the SACD abd DVD-A virus ;) Mu Onkyo 696 only offers a single set of multichannel inputs. I've got it connected to the Pioneer 47Ai, and the sound is great!
So great, in fact, that I'd like to upgrade my CA70ES to a 555ES. Would be much more convenient to have multiple SCAD's ready for listening without changing at each disc. I truly like the DVD-A format, though, and don't want to give it up.
This leaves me to search for receivers OR pre/pro's that have more than one set of Multichannel inputs, allowing me to hook both up. As far as I can see, only the Sony ES receivers do this. Are there any others? Haven't seen one mentioned in a search. Plus, would be willing to migrate to a pre/pro setup in order to achieve this, and this is an area I know VERY little about yet. But I'm more than willing to learn!
Does anyone have advice or observations?

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Editted -- forgot to comment on amplification requirements.
If you are looking for a low cost option, you can use two 3 input radio shack switch boxes (#15-1952), @ $15 each. With this approach, you can switch directly into the multichannel inputs of the receiver.
You can also use the Sony TAP-9000ES to accomplish this task. It's about $450 dollars and you won't have to change receivers. This approach will work best if you have a "outboard" amplification. In other words, you are using the Onkyo Receiver as a preamp/processor.
SACD -->
DVD --> TA-P9000ES -> Amp
Receiver -->
I guess you could hook it up according to the diagram below, but then you will have to deal with two volume controls. I think this is a tricky, but I have never tried it.
SACD -->
DVD --> TA-P9000ES -> Receiver
Shawn Fogg used to have a website that offered a DVD-A SACD switch box designed to solve this problem for about $200. With this approach, you can switch directly into the multichannel inputs of the receiver. No other amplification required. You can also get this switch with a "hardwired" remote.
Finally, you could go with a "multi-format" player that played both formats. However, from the reviews I've read, the SACD performance on the 555ES will be better.
Other issues to consider. You may need some form of bass management for your new player. Most DVD-A and SACD players do not provide very flexible bass management and I doubt the Onkyo provides bass management on it's multi-channel input. Be prepared for a "rats-nest" of cabling :D
Good luck.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,
"You can also get this switch with a "hardwired" remote."
I have also added an IR remote option with discrete source selection. If you have a learning macro capable remote you can setup two 'sources' on it which both run a macro. The macro for each would select the 5.1 input on your receiver/processor then send the correct IR command to switch the box to either the DVD-A or SACD input. From that learning remote it would make the operation of the box seamless.
And there is the trigger option to also automate the process for the equipment that supports it.
Thanks,
Shawn
http://www.switch-box.com

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,
I was looking for your website the other day to update my knowledge and couldn't find it. I see that your website name changed. I recently answered a question similar to this one on the sound and vision magazine website. You may want to add information to my reply on that forum. I think the website is
Take care.
Sound and Vision Magazine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks