What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Produced from 1938 to 1940, the Mr. Wong Collection were small scale and definitely programmers (barely running over an hour), but in their own inconspicuous way, they offered fairly good mystery plots and a great star at the helm, Boris Karloff.

Mr. Wong, Detective (1938)

Released: 05 Oct 1938
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 69 min

Director: William Nigh
Genre: Adventure, Crime, Drama

Cast: Boris Karloff, Grant Withers, Maxine Jennings
Writer(s): Houston Branch, Hugh Wiley

Plot: When a chemical manufacturer is killed after asking detective James Wong to help him, Wong investigates this and two subsequent murders. He uncovers an international spy ring hoping to steal the formula for a poison gas being deve...

IMDB rating: 6.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have the DVD box set. Since I'm running out of space, I'll have to stick with that but would like to read some reviews on the quality of the BDs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Matt mentioned the overall quality in his review. What wasn't mentioned, that I'm interested in, is how does this BR compare to the DVDs from VCI or Roan? Those look pretty good.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Matt mentioned the overall quality in his review. What wasn't mentioned, that I'm interested in, is how does this BR compare to the DVDs from VCI or Roan? Those look pretty good.
Last week VCI had the dvd set on sale for 9.99 I got the set years ago and the qualify is pretty doggone good I can see both companies benefit Kino for the fans of blu ray and VCI just to get the 6th feature just keep a look out for a sale on VCIs! Great work KINO and VCI!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Correct. Sorry I omitted that from the review.

The only versions of these films I had prior to this set were the made-on-demand MGM DVDs whose quality left a lot to be desired.
The VCI set is great and I am glad Blu Ray fans will be happy too these films kept many a indie tv station on the air for decades they are fun films - like the ever popular east side kids films - wish the negs on film like Spooks Run Wild etc would be uncovered! Hope this set does VERY will for KINO!!!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I own a copy of the Roan DVD set, which is also quite good - and I'll be picking up this Kino release at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks