What's new

movielink, anybody??? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If this is only going to be "blockbuster" sort of fare, I'm not interested either. I know it's new and for awhile, the big money titles are going to be driving the business, but will it extend beyond that? I doubt we'll be seeing independent, foreign or classic films be made available.

Bruce

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I post this here because I am SPECIFICALLY interested in HTPC related experiences, and not the movie selection, price, rental duration type of discussion. I am interested to know, say, if anybody may have tried it with hardware firewall, VPN, or whatever funny home netwrok setup. What's the experience and reliability of one's boardband connection when downloading a 500MB file (the biggest I ever done in the 3 years of DSL was 80MB)? What about expereience with using different processors ? For quite some time, software only DVD players seemed to have a pretty clear demarcation, with a PIII (or equivalent class) processor you are fairly safe, PII (or equivalent) can be a bit of a stretch. Movielink is not DVD, I am interested in knowing if the processor and hardware demand is less, and by how much, etc.
It's OK if nobody has anything to say because it's really very new, but if I want the more "software" centric type of discussion, I would have gone to the HT Software section.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Steve, I think it's to new for you to really get many answers. I can tell you I've downloaded files as large as 650MB in my past and had no problems (on DSL). If they could make this DVD quality and if the files didn't expire/erase themselves. I might be tempted to try it. Kind of set up a movie server to hookup to my HT. Those are the two main issues I think most people will have. It's kind of a VHS quality Divx. My guess, and it's a total guess, is that the hardware demands will be lower than DVD.

EDIT: I just checked their site. The system requirements are. Win 98, Me, 2000 or XP; IE 5.0 or higher, RP8 or WMP 7.1 or higher, 300 MHz PIII, 128MB RAM, Full Duplex Sound Card & Speakers, 65,000 color video display set to 800x600 or higher.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Upon further inspection, most movies are not OAR. All films are presented full-frame, so if the film was widescreen, you're SOL.

Are movies displayed as widescreen or letterboxed?

Movielink movies are full frame and not widescreen or letterboxed. However, Movielink is currently exploring additional features that will enhance our service. We appreciate any feedback on ways to improve your experience that you wish to provide.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Thanks Bruce, I suspect it's way too new, but one never know in this forum ;) . You mentioned 300MHz PIII in your post as listed requirement, I don't think there is a 300MHz PIII, I am under the impression that PIIIs started at 450MHz. Good to know somebody's done a 650MB download too.
From what I read in the newspaper, but I have not verify that on the site, the scheme is supposed to be you can play as many times as you like in a 24 hour window, or, if you have not play it at all, you have 30 days. Sounds like once you start, you have 24 hours, but you have 30 days to "start".

Brian E

Screenwriter
You mentioned 300MHz PIII in your post as listed requirement, I don't think there is a 300MHz PIII, I am under the impression that PIIIs started at 450MHz.
You're right of course. It was 450 for Slot 1 and 500 for Socket 370 PIII's. I was just repeating what they say in their faq.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks