What's new

Movie choices for Covid Fare (not Fair!) (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
So my rat test result for my wife Robyn and I is positive .. hers is worse than mine; she's pretty well bed-bound, venturing forth for maybe an hour at night to watch something preferably trivial on television, and eat some icecream.
Mine is milder ... fuzzy achine head, dizziness, nasal effluvium and etc etc .. many of you will know the feeling. I should start feeling better tomorrow when the chemist delivers a special oral medicine for people like me with significant underlying health issues and reduced immune systems (severe asthma and rheumatoid arthritis...)
BEST THING at night to relax before going to bed and trying to sleep is to watch a fun, mentally unchallenging movie. So I have five, maybe six more solitary nights.
I started out last night with one of my all-time favourite chill-out movies, Deep Impact, starring Tina Arena or is it Tia Maria .. .something like that .. and the little fellow from Lord of the Rings.
Tonight may be a musical .. perhaps Easter Parade. It would have been For Me and my Gal but I'll save that for its forthcoming Blu ray release (Yay!}
So what would your Covid isolation choice be? Others I'm considering include Leon: The Professional and 'Little Lord Fauntleroy' with Freddy Bartholomew, or his 'Captains Couragous'.
So further suggestions please. Nothing too challenging, given the already-challenged head!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So what would your Covid isolation choice be?

When I’m not feeling well, or trying to pass time in isolation for other reasons, I tend to do better with things I’m already familiar with, and usually the shorter the better. I’m more likely to revisit a TV show I have on DVD than I am to do a movie marathon - for whatever reason it’s much easier for me to watch four episodes of something I like than to rewatch a single movie, even if it’s one I love.

Paradoxically, perhaps, I’m a much better reader than viewer when I’m ill. If I watch TV I’m usually half distracted by how lousy I feel. But a book takes up more of my concentration and that makes the time go faster.

So…probably a mix of old Star Trek episodes and some books for me.

Wishing you and your wife a speedy and full recovery!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sorry to read that you're both under the weather. Yes, I use musicals as my pick-me-ups. Usually, I go first to Good News. I also like In the Good Old Summertime and Mother Wore Tights when I want to cheer myself up.

Get well quickly!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
When I want a little shot of "Better" it's usualy either a Danny Kaye flick, like the Court Jester or a vintage movie like Errol Flynn in Robin Hood or Tyrone Powers in Zorro. We all dip into our childhoods to find that visual remedy to uplify our spirits, when we don't feel so good. Another genre for me is any decent Atomic Sci-Fi, like Them or Beginning of the End with Peter Graves...or another one of my favorites, once the HD release hits my door this summer, Invaders From Mars, LOL!!! Now that's the ticket :popcorn:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
When I had to quarantine back in January, I watch quite a few musicals to take my mind off the illness. These ranged from animated fare like Anastasia to roadshow films like Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof (this was my first time watching the film, which I enjoyed even though it was a trifle depressing).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have long-since (mostly) recovered from my own mild case of Covid, but I have begun rewatching DVD's I haven't turned to since I began collecting (thousands of) Blu-ray's. It's a nightly routine lately. Interestingly, one of the long-term symptoms I have experienced is a bit of added short-term memory loss (added to what I already had), so these movies barely look familiar and I remember almost nothing about them. It's like seeing most of them for the first time. None has yet been released on Blu-ray.

DARK CORNER (1946). Well-acted, well-scripted noir with Lucille Ball, William Bendix, Clifton Webb. Moody and well-photographed. I'll pick up the Blu-ray if someone (Kino?) will release it.

KILL THE UMPIRE (1950). Another film with William Bendix, quite good as an umpire-hating ex-player who ironically decides to become one himself... and is assigned to the State of Texas! Written by Frank Tashlin. Great slapstick, and I'm a sucker for great slapstick.

FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY (1989) with Paul Newman, Bonnie Bedelia and an especially excellent John Cusack. Well-made, absorbing drama about the Manhattan Project, directed by Roland (THE KILLING FIELDS, THE MISSION) Joffe. Paramount, 1.85:1.

THE GAZEBO (1959). Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds (need I say more? I will anyway). Frenetic but often really funny slapstick about murder and body disposal and a very smart pigeon. Black and white, 2.35:1.

GETTING STRAIGHT (1970) Elliot Gould in his prime and Candice Bergen. Campus revolution comedy-drama made during the hippie/free love/student rebellion period. I've always liked this rather manipulative, formulaic story. Ends about the only way it could. Sony / 1.85:1.

and many, many more...

Makes me glad I never dumped my DVD collection., although I do give them away when they are replaced by Blu's.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Satan Bug is out!

Or OUTBREAK or CONTAGION or PANIC IN THE STREETS. But, funny you mention this, because only last week I spun my Blu ray of SATAN BUG again...not the best movie ever, but a pleasant memory from having seen it not once or twice, but three times during its four-day run at my local cinema in 1965.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I started out last night with one of my all-time favourite chill-out movies, Deep Impact, starring Tina Arena or is it Tia Maria .. .something like that .. and the little fellow from Lord of the Rings.
Good to see your sense of humour has not been dulled by this covetous intruder.

Perhaps what’s called for is something to dazzle all the senses. The Archers come to mind.

Alternatively, spin up the magnificent Tina Arena in the background and chill out with Téa Leoni and dad Maximillian Schell shielding the planet from a hurtling mega-rock with upraised Tia Marias.

All the best to you and the missus.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

The Simpsons Cartoons GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks