What's new
World Wide Stereo

Mount TV above fireplace or on the wall that is prewired for surround? (1 Viewer)

aamert

Auditioning
Real Name
aamert
I just moved to a new house which has a living room pre-wired for surround sound.

I am thinking about mounting the TV above the fireplace to save some space but that means foregoing the 'true' surround sound experience (although its an open area and I guess I wont be able to get perfect surround sound anyways). That way i am thinking will also save some space for me to put a chair/couch.

What would you do? Mount it above the fireplace to save some room and get an imperfect surround sound (the fireplace is to the left of the wall that is the pre-wired for front speakers)

OR

Put it up on the wall and get a better surround experience?

(I am not asking if mounting above fp will damage my tv, so please not discuss that)

728x90

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I wouldn't mount the TV over the fireplace - not out of fear of damaging the TV but rather out of fear of damaging my neck! Go to Best Buy, and see how long you can stand and stare UP at a TV that's on display. If you can make it more than 15 minutes without needing to rest your neck, I'll be impressed.

Fireplaces and TVs are competing for the same thing - to be the focal point of the room. Nine times out of ten, the fireplace is EXACTLY where the TV "should" be for exactly this reason. Most rooms are set up to have one focal point, not two. You'll have to compromise, IMO.

Besides, if the room is prewired for surround, it would seem a waste not to make use of it (and no, I would not even consider trying to use the speakers as they are located with the TV over the fireplace - it would be a real mess, acoustically). Actually, since the "TV wall" and "fireplace wall" are adjacent, and not opposite each other, you could make the seating work with a 90 degree sectional sofa, or two sets of seats - one facing the TV, the other the fireplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks