What's new

Most Underrated Music Artist (1 Viewer)

Kenny WH

Stunt Coordinator
Most underrated artist...Mr. Carl Perkins.

-Father of rock-a-billy(rock,blues,country sounds mixed together).

-Influenced many big acts and artists such as the Beatles(George Harrison came to his funeral).

-He wrote and performed some huge hits including Blue Suede Shoes which Elvis made famous.

I may be a bit biased...I was born and raised in Jackson,TN where Mr. Carl called home...not only was he a great artist...but he was a tremendously kind person and gave a great deal back to his community. He is greatly missed.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Plus they're deadly dull in concert
Ah, that's what I call a poster band. As in putting a poster of the band on the wall and spinning their cd is just as good as going to the concert. Same excitement on the poster.

Examples of Poster Band who's shows I have been to;

The Cure
Depeche Mode

I love both of these bands but their shows were booooring.

Greg.G

Stunt Coordinator
I just got their Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers on 1 CD. Pretty cool stuff, almost progressive rock.

I just started listening to Sparks and they are way out there, maybe too much for most to appreciate their talents. Youtube.com has their 'Dick Around' video which is friggen' great.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Greg: I checked out that "Dick Around" video on YouTube this morning. Five times. And I'm still laughing. I love it when the "metal riff" kicks in.

It's nice to know the Mael brothers are still composing and performing some of the funniest and bizarre songs in history. It's also nice to see that Ron Mael still looks like the bastard son of Frank Zappa and Adolf Hitler...

My oldest friend and I used to heap tons of abuse on this band when we were in grammar school, and all we knew of them was from their appearance in the film "Rollercoaster," which was in like 1976. This was obviously before I discovered how bizarrely fun these guys could be: all we knew back then was KISS.

Any band with song titles like "How to Get Your Ass Kicked" and "Dance Goddamit" is fine by me. "Dick Around" is just brilliant. Thanks for pointing it out.

Greg.G

Stunt Coordinator
I knew one kid in grade school and KISS was the only band that mattered to him. Sparks is kinda like Queen but the difference is that Sparks doesn't pretend to be so - I don't know - elevated, impressive, or serious-minded. Sparks is fun but they know how to write and to play which just reminds me of Ween's approach.

I've heard Ron's mustache is more a take off of Chaplin than Hitler, which definitely makes me feel better. No need for reruns of Bowie's 'salute' to the crowd or anything of that nature.

I think Sparks did do a video with Jane Wiedlin[sic] of the Go-Go's. Not sure if it was one of their better periods, but I thought it was just okay. I think Sparks are like Roxy Music in that they did exciting, other-worldly stuff during certain periods and at other times they made conventional forgettable pap.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
"Cool Places" was the song Sparks did with Jane from the Gogos. I loved that video for Ron Mael's facial expressions. As far as my "all we knew was KISS" comment: I should clear that up by mentioning that I was also VERY into Queen (and assorted other bands) back then. I was just using KISS as a focal point.

Funny, I never gave a thought to Ron's mustache as a tribute to Chaplin, which is definitely more "P.C." than Hitler :). He reminds me more of Frank Zappa anyway (see the cover of their self-titled "Sparks" album from 1971.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I think Garden State put them into some sort of limelight, but most of the people I run into just seem to know "Caring is Creepy" and/or "New Slang". I enjoyed "Chutes Too Narrow" more than "Oh Inverted World". But then again most of the people I know like bands like Relient K and Switchfoot, stuff like that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The first band that comes to mind for me is Quicksand who made 2 great albums and then broke up.
Guitarist singer Walter Schreifels also put together the very good Rival School.

I wish Hum had made more music.

Until 98 or so I would have said The Flaming Lips. Now that theyre popular theyre terrible.

The Minutemen who (along with Flaming Lips pre-Soft Bulletin) completely changed the way I look at music. Brilliant band(Their song Corona was the intro for MTVs Jackass)

Also one no one has heard of...The Plan. Fuckin insane. No words to describe this thigs its genius.Heres a link to the review that made me seek this thing out. Its hard to find.....
http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searc...howReview=true

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
If you like singer songwriter/country/rock/americana (any or all), please check out the last 3 Rodney Crowell albums. All three are amazing!

Rodney Crowell:

2001 - Houston Kid
2003 - Fate's Right Hand
2005 - The Outsider

I also concur about Porcupine Tree. Amazing music! I need to pick up those dvd-a discs at some point. So much music, so little money.

CuZ06

Agent
Real Name
JC
Stevie Ray Vaughn, hands down the best blue guitar player of his time. Possibly the best of all time...

I watched a live DVD of his, absolutely brilliant. I watched it straight through

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
From the 60s, I would like to add the Association. Sure, they did have some top 40 songs, but I don't think they really got the recognition as talented musicians and singers. They were one of the few groups I saw in concert that their harmonies sounded as well live as they did from studio recordings.

In the beginning of their recording career, I would say that the Carpenters were underrated. Espacially when you consider that there first records came out in the late 60s when, pop artist were definitely not very popular at the time. Richard Carpenter finally got the recognition he deserved for being a great arranger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks