What's new

Most disappointing abandoned dvd series (1 Viewer)

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Leave it to Beaver (no Beaver in the soup for us)

Rocky and Bullwinkle (Season 3 had a preview for season 4 as a bonus feature)

SCTV

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

How are the SCTV volume sets that are out currently? I still want to pick them up, but are they worth it?

Also, were more volumes planned, or did they just pull the plug on that series?

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

I really enjoyed the Season 4 and Season 5 sets. We rewatched many of the segments several times. There were a lot of changes due to music rights issues though. There is a list of alterations for each set on this link:

SCTV Guide - Episodes - DVD

I remember reading someplace it may have been TvshowsonDVD.com that
the Best of Early Years Seasons 1-3 (there were no season 1 episodes on the set) was released because the later volumes sold about half of what the initial ones did. The Early Years set was released back in October 2006 and
there haven't been any more released so I assume it's abandoned.

andytw710

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I know most of you like scripted shows, but the only releases of shows I get (both scripted and reality) that seemed to have been abandoned are reality shows that I guess people didn't want to watch again. Which makes sense since you know the outcome, but I hate that I have only 2 seasons of The Amazing Race, only 2 seasons of The Mole, and pretty sure that we won't be getting anymore Survivor. I guess six seasons is nice but they jumped all around and didn't even release all of the early ones.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
for anyone wondering why there's no more Quincy boxsets - this might have something to do with it

Klugman sues Universal
according to the lawsuit, NBC Uni is claiming that, as of the end of fiscal year 2006, Quincy M.E. has accumulated over $66 million in net losses -- this after we all know that the 1976-1983 series is a classic shown all over the world even to this day. Through his Beverly Hills attorneys Johnson & Johnson, Klugman just gave this statement to me: "I don’t want their money. I want my money. I can’t believe they’ve collected over $250 million dollars and they say they are still in the hole. I have 28% of the net and they won’t even give me a copy of my contract.

so let us remember that no matter how bad you think Universal is treating us with abandoning shows, they treat Klugman worse by stealing money out of his pocket.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe, interesting info about Uni & J.K. Assuming it's true (about Uni), that's a sad state of things for corporate mind-sets in general. Universal has had a reputation for many years of "watching the budget", in diplomatic terms. I don't know if that's the case but it's been the perception for a long time.

Regarding Jack Klugman, he's always been one of my favorite performers, going back to the orginal "12 Angry Men" film and the "Terror at High Point" episode from the Fugitive. He also played a leading role in one of my all-time favorite (un-released in studio remastered format) TV-Movies from '76 "One of my Wives is Missing".

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
from what Klugman has said in the past, Paramount has been above board when it comes to paying his share of The Odd Couple. Far as Universal's side of the story - they did get sued by James Garner over pulling this same nonsense on Rockford Files (it was settled out of court).

There's a second article at Nikki Finke’s Deadline Hollywood Daily
about how the family of Jerome Siegel have had control of the Superman copyright and Warners is shafting them.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm sad that LEAVE IT TO BEAVER was left behind. I am still stunned at the high price of those sets...and wondered if that is why sales might have been low?
Sad.
Anyone know if we will ever see LUCY SHOW other than the public domain copies that are cirulating on low budget labels?

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I just hope the studios get their act together and start to continue shows that people want, as long as they can cover the costs, they shouldn't care to much about making a huge profit. They have movies etc to do that and shows like Seinfeld and Friends. TV shows on DVD are a commodity and they should provide for their consumers, regardless. Its a nice idea but will they listen, probs not.

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I would like to see is on this site or tvshowsondvd.com When a series finally comes out on DVD lets say Alice or Six million dollar man for example when the 1st and later 2nd season & so on comes out, both sites should have a sales rating chart if Alice 1st season & up has strong sales then I would buy it and if Six mill $ man 1st season did well but 2nd & up sales did not do well then I won't buy it. that would be a sign it will be abandoned by the studios will quit making the rest of the season set. I don't want to be stuck with only season 1 and or 2 knowing the rest won't be made

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It is conceivable, though only the studios know for sure, that these shows could be profitable, just not profitable enough. Many studios are obsessed with a minimum 20% margin of profit. Anything less than that and it might as well be a loss. A 1% profit or a 19% profit, it doesn't matter to them if it doesn't meet the goal.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

Dude! Yes totally on these! I'd love to finish my Superfriends and Scooby (especially Laff-A-Lympics) collections. I just don't know that they've been abandoned or that they're just releasing them slowly. We did get plenty of Superfriends within the last 12 months after they finished the Justice League/Unlimited series. Can't remember when the last Scooby came out, I think it was the set with Dynomutt, but I'm definitely ready for more. Even though it's not a HB cartoon and it was just two very short seasons, how about getting Thundarr out?

Also agree with the poster who wanted to finish Jem and the Holograms. Let's get that and GI Joe completed.

I'd like to thank the poster who wrote about Klugman's suit against Universal. Glad to know what's going on, even if it is negative. Hope Klugman gets what's rightfully his and we get S1 redone and then finish up this great series.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The only two that really bug me are:

Dream On
Amazing Stories

Especially Dream On...it wouldn't have taken all that much to finish off and considering John Landis was executive producer, and did the opening for the first set. It really ticks me off they left this hanging.

A little edit here: I see that Amazon UK is releasing Season 2 of Dream On this month...of course here it was released in one box set with season 1. It probably doesn't mean anything but maybe there is still a chance that we may get more seasons or then again maybe they will stop at 2 too.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Don't care much for sitcoms, so most of what's the subject of these complaints doesn't concern me personally, but I would like to put in an additional word on Son of the Beach, an outrageously hilarious spoof---in format, at least---of the Quinn Martin programs of the 60's and 70's, which ran for three seasons on cable. Fox Home Video split the show for release into Volume 1 ( = seasons 1 and 2.1), then "abandoned" it, with the second half of the second season and the entire third season ("Volume 2") left unreleased. Although covering raunchier territory---Howard Stern was one of its executive producers---it was made in similar vein with Paramount's equally spoofy 80's limited-run series The Naked Gun. The Fox HE marketeers might have tried---and might still try---marketing it to the same folks who bought or wanted to buy the other program, it seems to me.

Is there any reälistic hope of ever seeing the remainder of it---ONE set, mind you---released on DVD?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The sudden, surprise appearance of Party of 5 season 3 makes me believe that anything can and will happen. Don't give up hope!

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if it's abandoned completely but the fact that we only got the first season released and that was two years ago isn't making me too hopeful for the last 3 seasons of "The Sentinel". Seriously, that has left me totally heartbroken. I want the rest of it so bad I can taste it.

I don't like that many shows enough to actually buy the dvds, but the very few I do(Starsky and Hutch, Stargate Atlantis, House, Man From Uncle) have been released and "The Sentinel" is the only one that doesn't look promising at all. It is soooo disappointing.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys. The fact that hulu.com and other sites may reinvigorate (sp?) the series. There was such a glut of TV-DVD's out the first few years may have been too much for the market to bear all at once, hence all the big discounting these days. The download areas may help to change this. Don't give up hope.

James Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks