Monster XP Inner Coating

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Merrill, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Merrill

Merrill Extra

I've looked in the forum and found very little reference to the plastic inner coating on the Monster XP wire. What is that inner coating and does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get rid of it.

My wire strippers (I think it's a pretty good pair) strips the insulation but leaves the inner plastic coating. If I try to strip that, I'll lose strands. I guess I could use a magnifying glass and a blade to remove it.

Any other suggestions?

2. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

use a razor blade and cut the plastic. You're not going to hurt the wire.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The wire is finely stranded, when I tried to strip it, it did remove a few strands of wire at the same time. Now I just pull it off with fingernails. Not clean, but gets it off without damage to the wire.

4. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

The XP wire all has the inner plastic tube wound in the middle ... it supposedly ( in conjuction with the way the copper strands are wound around the "flux tube" ) creates its own magnetic field when a signal is passed through the wire ..... the magnetic field is supposed to isolate the wire from any external EM interference ....

XP is designed around this "flux tube" do not take it out ..... if you dont want it in there just purchase some good oxygen free copper 16 gauge cable.

5. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

oops wait a sec ...... i just realized you might have been refering to the coating around the windings ......... oops ..... john's right ..... the quickest easiest way to take the coating off is with the fingernails! :b

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I use a utility knife... no problems.

7. Merrill

Merrill Extra

I love it. $1500 system all comes down to using a $0.10 blade to allow the speakers to connect properly. Thanks guys. I am off to Wal-Mart for my blade. [​IMG]

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you can just hold off a bit, I'll be introducing my audiophile grade razor blades...I was thinking of pricing them at $5 each and had come up with "...the best a man can get" as an advertising slogan but letters from Gillete and N.O.W. are causing me to rethink this...BTW, 10 blade minimum order but free s/h till the end of the year [​IMG]

9. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Chu,
    When will they ship?