What's new

Mitsubishi 55809...your thoughts on this TV (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hi guys,
Search function is down and I'm thinking about picking up this set...for last year's price. My local B&M wants $3k for it. Is this a good deal?
I like the looks of the set, it comes with set-up and in home calibration. I can go to the 65" for another $400, but I don't think we're sitting far enough away from it.
Your thoughts good/bad on this unit are appreciated. I'm thinking about buying this weekend.
Jeremy

Mike A

Agent
Since the 55809 are the newest models not much is known about them, other than some of the specs have been downgraded from last years models to reduce the overall price. Not sure how that will affect the actual image quality since only a few have bought so far.
Before you buy anything Mitsubishi, make sure you go to www.hometheaterspot.com Mitsubishi Forum first. You will find almost everything you need to know regarding these sets and some comparisons to the 2001 and this years models specs.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes, do what Mike suggested. Before I bought my 46807 I went to the SPot and asked many a questions.
I could be mistaken, but I believe some of the service codes on the xxx09 models have been changed or locked out, limiting tweakability. Although I am not sure.
Go to the Spot :)
Edit: I will add that I am extremely happy with my Mits.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs
[Edited last by Ron-P on July 26, 2001 at 10:28 AM]

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't recommend the Mits more highly. I bought the 55807 after two separate bouts with Toshiba. I am picky, picky... and even though the overscan is not as tweakable on the Mits and I don't really like the stretch modes for 4:3, the majority of my time is spent watching movies, and man, the Mits beats the Toshes hands-down for that. Also, my old lasers look better on the Mits.
Combine that sucker with a progressive scan DVD player and you've got a film-like experience. I almost couldn't believe my eyes.
Another nifty feature (at least on the xxx07 models) is that in the narrow mode (for 4:3 material), the screen moves around ever so slightly in the 16:9 field to help lessen the possibility of burn-in. I personally watch a good bit of football in 4:3 and don't see the slightest indication of burn.
I couldn't be happier!
~Jamie

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, the xx809 have the same lockouts as the xx807. Only the xx805 gives you full access to the service menus.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,
I've been to the "spot" and asked some questions there.
I've also been looking a bit at the 65", $400 more and it breaks down into 3 pieces...much easier to move around.
However, I'm currently only 10' away from the TV, a little close for the 65.
Again, Thanks
Jeremy

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
IMO 10' isn't too close for a 65" TV. I just purchased a Mitsubishi WS-65907 and I sit about 8' from the screen. I do have DirecTV for my 'normal' viewing so the picture is better than cable and I'm replacing a 53" RPTV which is the same height and I'm used to viewing from that distance. If you don't buy the 65" you might end up regretting it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
At first I thought the front row would be too close at 6' and the back row, at 9' would be perfect. I find myself sitting in the front row all the time.
I would have gone bigger than 46" but I would not have been able to get it into the Green Room.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
Viewing distance'shrinks' wrt time and esp when you enjoy the big picture :). 10ft is not bad for 65"- in fact I can assure you that if you get a 55", then after couple of weeks you will want a bigger screen
biggrin.gif

However, viewing distance is a personal preference issue-check out your comfort level on viewing distance and I'd recommend doing this in someone's home since most of widescreen TVs look tiny in a store.
As far as xx809 is concerned-check for the 'Spot'forum and I'd recommend for you to go for xx859/909-since they offer better bang for buck (I'm comparing them to likes of xx807 and 857/907) or Tosh xxHX81..so can you wait? :)
At this time, since you cannot compare 809 to 859/909 and if your itch is strong on getting one- go for it :)
Cheers,
Kishore
[Edited last by Kishu on July 27, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies/suggestions.
I am going to buy the 65809 :) It wasn't too tough a decision...Toshiba isn't sold in Alaska. Panasonic and Pioneer Elite were the other choices. The red push problem
and lackluster customer service were the only cons with Mits....but who needs C/S when you have hometheaterspot? :)
I'm excited to get it in the living room....first, I have to come up with an audio rack solution and at this point, I may be building my own.
Thanks again guys
Jeremy

John D

Auditioning
Hi Jeremy,
My old TV/Monitor just broke, and I was looking around for a new one. It came down to the Hitachi 43UWX108 and the Mitsubishi 55809.
My wife and I chose the Mitsubishi as you get 3" more, and the picture quality seemed to be somewhat better.
I can't wait till it's delivered next week.
Say... it's good to be back!
------------------
John M. Drabinowicz
E-Mail: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks