What's new

Midnite Movies (MGM) confusion - MGM/HBO March 22nd releases (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
With the sale of MGM to Sony and the cancellation of the last batch of releases from MGM (and HBO possibly too) dated March 22nd, I am wondering why some Canadian retailers are still able to obtain copies?

I mean I had orders in with some that stated they didn't have any in stock and waiting on supplies and still getting supplies in to sell including the elusive Fireball 500/Thunder Alley release. This includes DVDSoon and CDPlus both in Canada.

What gives?? If MGM is having retailers confiscate copies at the register and these titles are tentatively been pushed back to a September release (if ever), how are they able to continue getting supplies and selling them?

I mentioned HBO in this because I had a copy of "The Bunker" coming and it too has been cancelled from its March 22 release date.

Eric

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I am really fearing that this could be the end of the Midnite Movies. MGM used to release a lot of Midnite Movies every August, but it seems like nothing is brewing this year, probably due to Sony's interence. What a midnite nightmare!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Michael... are you shure they were only "held back"? I can see the waste when these discs are already produced but on the other hand, if MGM's logo is going to be rarely used on future new releases, repackaging would even be an expensive proposition so wonder if they have been dropped with no concrete future date? From what I've gathered MGM/UA is pretty much dead and it seems awfully strange that these movies were only "held back" which still doesn't answer my question. These movies were supposed to also be "held back" in Canada as well so why are they still on the market? Some Canadian sites have changed the release dates on some but not others though none are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks