What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Midnight (1939) 4K restoration (1 Viewer)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Attended the world prem public screening of Leisen's masterpiece last night at the Cinema Reborn Festival in Sydney.

For those of us whi have been patiently waiting the sixteen years since the picture was released on a fairly perfunctory DVD I can only say fhe wait's been worth it.

The new master was sourced from nitrate elements including the OCN. Charles Lang's sumptupus late 30s Paramount luxe photogrsphy glows with super-layered blacks and pearlescent whites and creams - the wardrobe now has a visual presence as stunning as the cast. I saw details of things I've never seen before. Grain is so finely managed it made me weep (for joy). This is perhaos the most beautiful 30s B&W 4K Scan I've seen to date, certainly on a 40 foot screen.

I had a short chat before the screening with Mike Baard, head of Univeral Australia and we both felt the new 4K was destined fof a terrific UHD.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Attended the world prem public screening of Leisen's masterpiece last night at the Cinema Reborn Festival in Sydney.

For those of us whi have been patiently waiting the sixteen years since the picture was released on a fairly perfunctory DVD I can only say fhe wait's been worth it.

The new master was sourced from nitrate elements including the OCN. Charles Lang's sumptupus late 30s Paramount luxe photogrsphy glows with super-layered blacks and pearlescent whites and creams - the wardrobe now has a visual presence as stunning as the cast. I saw details of things I've never seen before. Grain is so finely managed it made me weep (for joy). This is perhaos the most beautiful 30s B&W 4K Scan I've seen to date, certainly on a 40 foot screen.

I had a short chat before the screening with Mike Baard, head of Univeral Australia and we both felt the new 4K was destined for a terrific UHD.
Do you recall anyone specifically mentioning use of the OCN? I’m seeing a print held by UCLA. No nitrate pre-print elements, unless they were discovered elsewhere. Generally, all b/w Paramount nitrate pre-print was reported as destroyed, with two sets of safety masters representing the film, struck in different eras. In most cases neither element is terribly well made.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I don't have the printed program Robert but I recall it refers to "surviving nitrate elements."

There are no more than two very brief monents of emulsion damage which would only be appsrent to extreme visual perfectionists like us in two separate reels which have bern left more or less intact as I imagine any further digital corrections would look horribly intrusive. As it stands the image is flawless even down to Paris location rear projection shots, and opticals ard nicely handled. The chromatic depth of blacks and whites is outstanding. The sheer glow of textures is extraordinary

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
From the program notes:World premiere of the 4K restoration. For this restoration, Universal Pictures primarily used a 35mm nitrate comp fine grain. The picture element was dry gate scanned in 4K on an ARRI film scanner for a 4K workflow. Universal applied digital processes to improve flicker and stability, address diagonal streaking issues, and clean up film damage, dirt, scratches, and stains. Audio was restored from the 35mm comp fine grain. Digital audio restoration tools were applied to reduce optical anomalies, noise floor, hum, rumble, and sibilance where possible. Restoration services conducted by NBCUniversal StudioPost.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From the program notes:World premiere of the 4K restoration. For this restoration, Universal Pictures primarily used a 35mm nitrate comp fine grain. The picture element was dry gate scanned in 4K on an ARRI film scanner for a 4K workflow. Universal applied digital processes to improve flicker and stability, address diagonal streaking issues, and clean up film damage, dirt, scratches, and stains. Audio was restored from the 35mm comp fine grain. Digital audio restoration tools were applied to reduce optical anomalies, noise floor, hum, rumble, and sibilance where possible. Restoration services conducted by NBCUniversal StudioPost.
Universal Studio Post does superior work. The UCLA element may have actually been a FGM, noted as print. Databases are sometimes imperfect. Can’t wait to see this on Blu.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Universal Studio Post does superior work. The UCLA element may have actually been a FGM, noted as print. Databases are sometimes imperfect. Can’t wait to see this on Blu.
I have the strong fedling it will get a UHD if Indicator in the UK has a look in. Although he can't speak for Uni/NBC HO Mike Baard was adamant the licensing for disc is wide open.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks