What's new

max lengths on digital coax and component cables (1 Viewer)

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
so i bought my new tv got it all setup etc however with the room layout i'll be needing some stupidly long cables to connect my pc to it (for gaming, etc). i'm planning on using component as i wasn't impressed with the svideo picture and digital coax for sound.

now the question is since i'll most likely doing some diy cables for the heck of it, what is the max length that decently shielded cable would be able to go before i start noticing issues? (i'm thinking max 25-30 ft for these and that's prob pushing it a bit)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
If you're using high quality RG6, such as Canare's video cable, or Belden 1694A, I wouldn't even blink at runs well over 100 feet. I'm sure there are folks here who have some very long runs for front projectors who can chime in with actual anecdotes. Just for comparison, (if I'm remembering correctly) component HD video uses up to 35MHz signals, and at 70Mhz Belden 1694A has a spec'ed attenuation of about 1.5dB. (Note: all conductors resist more at higher frequencies than lower).

For your application there are only 2 things I'd worry about: interference from strong EMI sources, and the quality of the assembly. As long as you're using well shielded RG6 as your wire, EMI shouldn't be much of a problem, unless you run it parallel to the house electrical wiring. As for cable assembly, that's in your control, and depends on the connectors you use, and how well you install them. I prefer crimp on connectors for that reason, as it's very hard to screw them up; solder on connectors are also great, as long as you solder them well.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Phil A will no doubt chime in since you've mentioned making the cables yourself. If you don't have the tools and parts yet, you can get them at Markertek www.markertek.com - one of Phil's favorite online supply sources, and one of mine, too.

You can go with cheaper cables than that if you want made-to-order if you're willing to go with 50 feet. www.cablesforless.com, www.trianglecables.com, and others have lengths of coax for very inexpensive prices. This is what I'm using to run component 480i, composite NTSC 480i, and component 720p HDTV signals to my ceiling mounted X1 projector. And the performance is perfect.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes, I just happen to like that supplier. Before I finished the basement, I ran 3 bundles of Canare compoent cable that runs from about 10 ft. above my head and then underneath the family room floor to the wall behind my equipment. I use of the 2 of the 30 thirty foot runs for component (DVD player and HD Tuner) and use the 3rd for composite video from my LD player and have any adapter for the other two wires for an 'S' video connection for my DVD Recorder. Normally 'S' video connections of about 30 ft. are getting close to the limit before degradation, since normal 'S' video cables are constucted of very thin wire. Running RG-6 with the adapter makes it a bit easier for a long run.

Haveinc.com also carries Canare and they and Markertek both sell by the foot which is nice. Haveinc.com also sometimes has cut cable reel specials for Belden where they sell by the foot. That's good if you want to buy or try different things. Canare's website (canare.com) used to have a chart as to which Belden cable fits their connectors. The Canare connectors are quite decent. I use them to make digital cables with Belden 1506a. It ends up making a nice digital cable that holds it own against much more expensive things.

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
thx for the replies, i've been browsing markertek, etc and yah it most likely would be built with either canare or beldon cable. now i just need to get some free time and finish some of the many projects i've got on my plate :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks