What's new

Marantz SR5200 vs H/K AVR 320 (1 Viewer)

mike_doyle

Agent
I have narrowed it down to these two(three) receivers...
Marantz SR 5200 ( 6.1, 85W x 6 ) Harman Kardon AVR 320 (7.1 capable 55W x5 ) or the newer AVR 225 ( 55W x5)

I can get all for around $450 US. ( I know they can be found for less in the states but up North that is the best I could find) I am trying decide which to get. I am going to hook up an expressvu 4700 (via fiber optic(toslink) or coax not sure yet). DVD player (again via toslink or coax) a VCR and an XBox (Toslink only).

I listen to music/movies(television) about 50/50.

My speakers are all paradigm. 3SE's up front, CC350 for center and ADP 170 dipoles for rear.

Questions:
1) I am leaning toward the Marantz but I am a little skeptical about the build quality. (Read reviews about popping noises etc.)

2) I am having a hard time to decide between the AVR 225 and 320 from H/K. I know the 320 has component switching(Not an issue for me right now)and 7.1 channel capability with separate amp.

Also all 3 only have two fibre optic and two coax (on back panel) so I will have to switch either my DVD or satellite to COAX. which should I switch? I listen to the sat more but mainly in prologic and stereo. Very rarely DD 5.1 (some PPV's). I use the DVD for DTS, DTS ES(not yet) and DD 5.1 exclusively? Which component do you guys recommend I switch to COAX.

Thanks,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks